Star marking in Costa Rica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

quesara

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all -

I saw something in passing today that was Odd. I didn't have time to stop & really check it out as was already trying to catch up to the group in 20 ft vis.

The "thing" in question had very dark (black?) background with a white 5-point star marking. The odd part was that it was a perfect 5pt star like one would draw with a single line without taking the pencil off of the page (points connected with intersecting lines). Very smooth surface, almost like chalk on a chalkboard. Very topside-human-ish.

The limited info: northwest coast of Costa Rica, morning dive, warm water (22C), ~15m, tucked under a lip of reef. The star couldn't have been much more than 15mm across. As mentioned above, all I really saw was the distinctive marking; I don't know if it was on a vertebrate, invertebrate, or bit of human rubbish. Nothing moved in the few seconds I had to look; I did not get a gut instinct of 'fish'...

Bit of a shot in the dark, but the star is odd enough that I'm hoping someone know what the heck I saw!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom