Starter Scuba Suiting Scrooge-Airline’s Suitcase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubblesong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Say you are starting you gear purchase from the point of the smallest carry-on bag allowed by the most Scrooge of Airlines:
I am assuming i’ll Trim the fins to get them to fit.
What other space saving options would you recommend?
I am thinking vacations to Mexico Carribean, bringing the thinnest diveskin already.

Scubapro Go Fins - my favorite fins and no trimming necessary

Say you are starting you gear purchase from the point of the smallest carry-on bag allowed by the most Scrooge of Airlines:
I am assuming i’ll Trim the fins to get them to fit.
What other space saving options would you recommend?
I am thinking vacations to Mexico Carribean, bringing the thinnest diveskin already.
You should probably provide some guidelines of what would or would not be considered.
BCD - back inflation or jacket? Weight Integrated or not? Open to either/or?
Is gear just for warm water use, or do you need something you can use in cold water also? (Easy enough to just choose one regulator, if compact is a premium on the BCD than more likely to need two different items for different uses)
Fins - open heel for boots? Closed heel for barefoot? Does it matter?
Just space saving, or minimize weight, too?

So provide some initial guidance, and you will get better more focused recommendations.

Actually, my smaller travel fins for Carribean were described in an earlier thread titled “Flipper Nipping”. Smaller works for warm water since I wear less.
Boots: not just for rocky shore dives, but hot boat decks, broken glass in the sand and fishhooks on the docks.
BCD: I have the Steel Freedom backplate and 32lb wing for Northern cold water. I thought I could make it work for travel too. but Would i save so much space and weight by purchasing a second freedom plate in aluminum and an 18lb wing for travel? The difference of few lbs can save $50 each way, so it can pay for itself in a trip or two. Plus it would save my joints to carry less weight.
My mask is prescription. Not much i can change.
Regulators: Deep6 regs plus my ability to service is my goal, but I wonder if people have a light weight reg they use for warm destination travel?
Clothes: One light sundress, flip flops, one bathing suit. One diveskin. Have to be quick dry, since I don’t have a change of clothes.
Dive computer, line cutter, smb, flashlights, GoPro.
I want to stick with carryon luggage hoping it will reduce my lost luggage risk.
I still have to think through the save a dive kit and toiletries, and also what i should just plan to buy there, like family size baby shampoo for all hair, clothes, gear and diveskin cleaning.

Okay, I'll just toss a few thoughts out there for you to consider in case anything lands. For reference, I am not a BPW diver and can't speak to that, and my primary brand, that I am most familiar with, is Aqualung/Apeks.

Fins - I don't have any genius suggestions there, except depending on size you wear, you may not need something designed for carryon. I just measured some Aqualung "ladies" fins, and some Cressi and some Mares in size S or XS, and they tend to be no longer than about 24"-25" in the smaller sizes.

BCDs - Aqualung makes the Zuma travel BCD, weighs less than 5 pounds, and is weight integrated & back inflate. So pluses are compact size and weight, possible negatives are: less durable materials than heavier BCDs, no adjustability of cylinder higher or lower in tank band, and any trim weights added to band will NOT be higher on the cylinder than your integrated pockets, so no shifting of the center of gravity.
They also make the Outlaw and the Rogue, which are not as light weight but may suit you. Sounds like you could be a candidate for the stripped down Outlaw, with optional weight pockets. Also, the Rogue waist assemblies are interchangeable with the Outlaw, so you can mix/match the parts you want. Let me know if you need more details there, I don't want to write a novel here and now. The Rogue is now my travel BCD.

Regulators - I don't know the Deep 6 regs, but I would be surprised if you gain more than a pound or two by going to a "light weight" regulator, and maybe only ounces to gain? The Apeks Flight claims it is the lightest regulator available. It is a nice unit, (my travel regulator) but does require special tools (I think five!!) for service. The Apeks XL4 is a cold water "kind of light weight" regulator, with 2nd stage almost identical to the Flight. So it could be a switch hitter for travel and local. There is not much weight difference between the Aqualung Mikron and the Core, so the performance difference and the rubber versus Miflex hose are I think more relevant considerations than a few ounces. Again, I don't know that you gain anything significant versus the regulator you already have. Unless you are looking for a reason to buy yourself more toys...

@JackD342 i have heard great things about apex regs, - a versatile system that can switch out parts from heavier ice proof to lighter travel ready would be ideal. Does apex allow owners of their regs to train to service at home or when traveling?

@JackD342 i have heard great things about apex regs, - a versatile system that can switch out parts from heavier ice proof to lighter travel ready would be ideal. Does apex allow owners of their regs to train to service at home or when traveling?
Nope.
And although I really like the Flight and the XL4, I did note that there are several unique tools required for service, which may make it a little harder to even find service. Some Aqualung/Apeks dealers, even though authorized to service after plunking down more $$ to purchase and complete the online class, may be resistant to investing in the tools if they haven't developed a customer base for that model.

When done "by the book" most other Apeks regulators require just one or two unique tools, and I bet some authorized shops just wing it and perform the adjustments via estimation + trial and error instead of buying the tool. Excluding the Flight tools, I have 5 different Apeks 2nd stage adjusting tools, depending on model and even generation of the model involved. So some special tools are common, but Flight and XL4 are unique - because the regulator itself is pretty unique.

And if I didn't already own and use 3 other regulators, I would have added an XL4 to my gear locker.

As far as most restrictive carry-on. Divi-Divi Air takes the prize - 10" x 10" x 14" and 6.5#/3 kg and NO personal item. Impossible limits to meet. Anything bigger than that might come on the next flight or the next day.

I love my Aeris Accel's - no nipping required. Light and indestructable. The very stretchy straps are easier to don & doff than spring straps, and much lighter.

I'm flying Bon ==> Aru on Aruba Airlines. Their carryon size is just a bit smaller than international sizes - 19.6" x 13.7" x 9" - including wheels and handles. Also, you need to keep in mind the 17#/8 kg. weight limit. I'm going to have to be creative to not get stuck with the extra bag charge. I'll most likely wear my computer and my dive boots and might use a mesh bag rather than a suitcase for carry-on. It's a ton lighter and can be made to conform to almost any shape/size.

Wherever I go, I want to carry-on my fins, mask (prescription lenses), snorkel, dive computer, batteries and tiny camera so I can at least get in the water if my baggage goes astray. I can live with rental stuff (paid for by travel insurance) if I absolutely have to. I used to carry tools & rebuild kits. Decided that they are too heavy and way unnecessary. I just make sure I service/clean/adjust (as necessary) my 1st, 2nd, and H2Odyssey Eas2, bladder, etc. right before my trip - I do my own, so I know it's right. Check all straps & belts. Chances of any of them needing service on the trip is then pretty much nill. So save a dive is all very light stuff - straps & such, and those are pretty much exteraenous.

I use a soft backpack/harness and the smallest donut bladder available. Can easily fit it into a carry-on if need be by taking the bladder off the harness and removing the tank straps and putting them in seperately.

I also travel to dive mostly sans clothes. I wear spandex boxer undies, nylon shorts, and a nylon T-shirt to dive. I bring 3 sets. They double as street clothes and wash out easily and dry fast. I wear pants with zip off legs on the trip so I have a pair of trowsers if needed. Since I cook for myself (rent an apartment) and don't go out evenings I really don't need much clothing.

@Bubblesong

You mentioned line cutter. Is that able to go in a carryon? I don’t know the answer so I am asking.

I have a number of friends who have the AL Mikron reg and love it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom