steel /aluminum mark on tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the bottom is flat you can pretty much count on it being aluminum, it fact that may be an absolute statement but I'm not positive.

Not quite absolute, but pretty stinkin close.
I've been looking for a round bottom Aluminum tank for years to make scooters out of. They are pretty scarce now.

Im wondering if they were just looking at the boot, and not at the tank??!! It was their dads tank, they dont know too much about scuba!:wink:

he he! I was right! they didnt look under the boot. :rofl3: So pretty sure its a steel but if anyone can make sense of the numbers it would still be useful.
8A191 0208302 2A187 7A986

he he! I was right! they didnt look under the boot. :rofl3: So pretty sure its a steel but if anyone can make sense of the numbers it would still be useful.
8A191 0208302 2A187 7A986

Those numbers look/sound like hydro stamps, and even partial at that (at least in the US-dunno about Canada).

There should be more markings on the other part of the crown.

Your missing a lot of numbers/letters with the information they gave you.

Have them check again.

To give you an idea of how much is missing, here are the numbers for one of my 95cf HP steel tanks:

7C-SU 4957-230 BAR DOT-SP14157-3442 TP5250 PEE 75.3x7100 4070001 01A09 M8004 XS SCUBA

From this you can see that the manufacturer of the tank is XS Scuba. It is a steel tank. The tank was produced in January of 2009. Working pressure is 230 Bar, and tank pressure is 3442psi.

ok here s the info he s given me, though it seems he hasn't given all the markings, any way heres what I have 8A191, 0208302 and 2A181, 7A986

Three of those are hydro stamps,

One being August of 91, another being February of 81, and the last being July of 86. I am not sure what the other number is, looks like a serial number.

I'm pretty sure the tank ought to have the permit/exemption and the working pressure stamped on it.

Three of those are hydro stamps,

One being August of 91, another being February of 81, and the last being July of 86. I am not sure what the other number is, looks like a serial number.

I would concur on your assessment. Further, I would guess that as a steel and that the first visible hydro is 81 and is similar to to the others that it is not the first. As such, I would guess (a big guess) that it is a LP72. Look for a 2250 or 2400 on the cylinder. Also get the diameter as well as height (bottom to top of neck).

To follow up ScaredSilly's post, an LP72 will be 6.9x25" whereas an HP100 will be 7.25x24".

I guess it dosnt matter now...she sold it to someone else!!:mad: Even so thanks for all your advice and I will know where to get info for the next one :cool2:

Your missing a lot of numbers/letters with the information they gave you.

Have them check again.

To give you an idea of how much is missing, here are the numbers for one of my 95cf HP steel tanks:

7C-SU 4957-230 BAR DOT-SP14157-3442 TP5250 PEE 75.3x7100 4070001 01A09 M8004 XS SCUBA

From this you can see that the manufacturer of the tank is XS Scuba. It is a steel tank. The tank was produced in January of 2009. Working pressure is 230 Bar, and tank pressure is 3442psi.

Actually your tank was made by Faber (their code is "M8004"). Its an exemption steel tank, 3442psi working pressure made in January of 2009.

XS Scuba is merely a distributor and they have distributed both Faber and Worthington's at times - they generally get their name stamped on the tanks sold through them even though the didn't make it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom