Steel corroding near LPI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Musicgirl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey y'all,

I'm looking for opinions/advice. I've had my BC for just over a year and couple months ago I noticed that the steel that surrounds the LPI button is corroding. The shop I bought it from (and one of the dealers for the brand) has been giving me mixed comments. The first comment they said was to blame me for not cleaning and maintaining my BC. (I am super meticulous about that). But when the owner talked to me, he did not support what his employee said, so I dismissed it. The next comment was that it's uncommon from this brand, but with no real follow up on what they would do or why it's happening to mine or if it's an issue (or reassurance that it's not an issue). It seemed to take forever to get answers, and they kept blaming the manufacturer for being slow in responding. When I finally took it to get the fabric repaired (some fraying that was covered under warranty) and asked in person, he says it just needs servicing. But it really shouldn't need servicing yet.

So, my question... Should I be worried about the corrosion? My gut says yes, but I don't really have that much experience with equipment yet.

Thanks.

Rust on the LPI would suggest a manufacturing defect.

Thanks. That's what I thought too. I think I'll contact the manufacturer directly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom