Steel hp 120 tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andies

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking for a dive operation that uses the hp steel 120 tanks found an old post that listed

Living Underwater and Aldora offer 120 tanks

Are there any others now?

Also the I would like the dive op to pick up from a downtown pier

Thanks in advance

Looking for a dive operation that uses the hp steel 120 tanks found an old post that listed

Living Underwater and Aldora offer 120 tanks

Are there any others now?

Also the I would like the dive op to pick up from a downtown pier

Thanks in advance

I have dove with Living Underwater for years. Big tanks as stated, great service and as good a boat as there is in Cozumel. He picks up at Aldora pier.

Aldora!

Picks up at the downtown Aldora pier and offers steel 100’s & 120’s. You may already know that. Their DM's are Instructors too.

For 120’s I personally don't know of any others.

You will find that people are pretty loyal to "their" dive op. Once you find a good one there's absolutely no need to switch. That being said, I'm an Aldora guy. Fantastic staff, they pick up pretty much anywhere, and they offer steel 120s. They recently upgraded to faber 120s which were pretty nice.

Aldora started it---------that's who I'd go with.........:)

While there are at least 3 (maybe more) dive ops on Cozumel that offer Steel 120 tanks, they are not, I believe, all HIGH PRESSURE Steel tanks - rated for 3500 psi fills. Aldora's tanks are HP Steel tanks, which, because of their higher fill pressure, are more compact than the low pressure (really, mid pressure) steel tanks that are only rated for 3000 psi. The LP Steel tanks are both longer and a bit fatter than the HP Steel tanks, while the HP Steel tanks will be a bit heavier as a result of thicker cylinder walls. If you are a shorter person, say 5'8" or less, you might find both tanks too long, swinging down and hitting you in the ass while you are in the water, lifting your BC over your head when you are seated on the boat. If you are 6'4" or taller, the extra length of the LP Steel 120 probably won't bother you a bit. If you fall between these extremes, the more compact HP tanks might be more comfortable both on the boat and in the water than the larger LP Steel tanks. Also, the HP Steel tanks are more subject to "short fills" because of the higher temperatures generated when filling these tanks quickly; if these tanks are filled quickly to 3500 psi, they might only show 3200 psi or less when allowed to cool. This can be avoided by a slow fill of the tank while submerging it in cool water. So the method of filling these tanks can also make a difference in tank performance.

I have dove with Living Underwater for years. Big tanks as stated, great service and as good a boat as there is in Cozumel. He picks up at Aldora pier.

Andies might want to check as to whether "He picks up at Aldora pier."

In September, a friend of mine who had dove with him in the past and been picked up at Aldora pier, was told by him after the diver had arrived in Cozumel, that he would not pick the diver up at Aldora pier but that he should arrange to go south of town and down to the harbor each morning to meet the boat.

As to Aldora, I just came back from diving with them for 10 days and had a great time. Not only do they have the big tanks, but to my knowledge they are the only operator that goes to the East side of the island where we saw the remains of a Spanish Galleon, and North of the Island to a location where we saw reef sharks asleep in a cave.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom