Steel tank lifespan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrackaFish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
My question has to do with steel tank lifespans and when do you let them go. I have a couple of older LP 85s on their second rehydro, ie original date of 02/06, hydro on 02/11 and last hydro on 06/17. So at what point do you realistically say time to retire? I know people will say “use them until they fail hydro”, but is that what most divers really do? I am just wondering what others have done. Thanks in advance and be safe.

1 of my 5 LP72's has an ICC stamp.... Interstate Commerce Commission. Later became DOT. Not one of them is younger than I am. I'm also putting a couple Navy surplus 1800 psi 38s into service for my youngest son... one tank was born in 1941 and the other was born in 43. Steel lasts forever if taken care of.
Respectfully,
James

My question has to do with steel tank lifespans and when do you let them go. I have a couple of older LP 85s on their second rehydro, ie original date of 02/06, hydro on 02/11 and last hydro on 06/17. So at what point do you realistically say time to retire? I know people will say “use them until they fail hydro”, but is that what most divers really do? I am just wondering what others have done. Thanks in advance and be safe.
That's exactly what I plan to do with my steel tanks. 4xlp108 and 2xhp80

let them go until they fail hydro or vip. As said above, I have tanks from the 60's that still pass with their + rating. These bottles are designed to last a VERY long time. Aluminum tanks could be a different discussion, but that's a different discussion.

So at what point do you realistically say time to retire? I know people will say “use them until they fail hydro”, but is that what most divers really do?

Use them till they fail hydro or you find tanks you like better and don't want to use them anymore at which point you can sell.

The concept of hydro is to test the tank to insure it is fit to use at its service pressure for at least five more years. I also have some ICC tanks, but they are not older than I. Steel tanks, especially 3AA tanks can last a long time, I have heard of tanks still in service from before WWII.

My oldest steel tank was made in 1961 my newest was made in 1981. I had 1 tank fail after 40 years of intense use, it failed hydro, it didn't go back to original size after expanding. Lost it's flexibility.

Ditto all the above. Keep 'em, take care of 'em and they will last.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom