Stingray kills 'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears to be the real thing, lots of agencies are picking it up now.
THE Crocodile Man, Steve Irwin, is dead. He was killed in a freak accident in Cairns, police sources said.

It is understood he was killed by a sting-ray barb that went through his chest.

He was 44.

He was swimming off the Low Isles at Port Douglas filming an underwater documentary when the incident happened.

Ambulance officers confirmed they attended a reef fatality this morning at Batt Reef off Port Douglas.

It is understood Mr Irwin was killed around midday, Eastern Australian time.

Irwin leaves his wife Terri and young children Bob and and Bindi

Gosh, that is a very freak accident...

Now CNN's reporting it. Probably not a hoax, then.

Too bad, I really liked that guy. I suppose karma finally caught up with him, with all the close encounters he's had over the years. I've read that getting a barb to the chest is one of the few ways to get oneself killed outright by a stingray. It very nearly happened to me once... terrifying.

Just out of curiosity arch, how did it happen to you?

I see that wikipedia says that it's not the "venom" it's severing an artery that can cause death.

I just can't picture the scenario myself...

I am in shock..... Thats so tragic. My prayers go out to his wife and two children. I really enjoyed wathing him especially the show when he filmed coming here to Oregon to visit his wife's family and area she grew up.

Charles

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom