Stowing the long hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BSAC is silly!

I was on a boat last summer with a few other divers in Brockville, Ontario. Three of the group were diving doubles (as was I), and all had cave cages over their manifolds (none were cave or overhead trained), and all were stuffing their long hose in the bands on the side of their wing. I asked them (nicely) why they dove their kit that way - their 'instructor' dove his that way and that was how they would dive their kit (I should add that the instructor in question was their AOW instructor, as none had technical training). I offered a few of the reasons why I questioned their choice - the same reasons this post has also stated. I don't mind if others dive a kit different from mine, as long as they are making choices themselves, based on safety and efficiency as a diver. What concerned me was that they had equipment that they were not ready to use should an emergency arise - fully kitted and ready to dive two were unable to pull out their alternate regulator, while the other did so with great difficulty. Once I explained what an S-drill was, they told me that they didn't do one, nor did they see the need for one. I am not a dive snob in any way, but I would not dive with any of them - one asked if he could dive with my wife and I for a later dive when his other buddies didn't feel up to another dive - we declined politely.

Just my two cents...Cheers!

I was on a boat last summer with a few other divers in Brockville, Ontario. Three of the group were diving doubles (as was I), and all had cave cages over their manifolds (none were cave or overhead trained), and all were stuffing their long hose in the bands on the side of their wing. I asked them (nicely) why they dove their kit that way - their 'instructor' dove his that way and that was how they would dive their kit (I should add that the instructor in question was their AOW instructor, as none had technical training). I offered a few of the reasons why I questioned their choice - the same reasons this post has also stated. I don't mind if others dive a kit different from mine, as long as they are making choices themselves, based on safety and efficiency as a diver. What concerned me was that they had equipment that they were not ready to use should an emergency arise - fully kitted and ready to dive two were unable to pull out their alternate regulator, while the other did so with great difficulty. Once I explained what an S-drill was, they told me that they didn't do one, nor did they see the need for one. I am not a dive snob in any way, but I would not dive with any of them - one asked if he could dive with my wife and I for a later dive when his other buddies didn't feel up to another dive - we declined politely.

Just my two cents...Cheers!

Cave cages? Those ram horn things? Lol, I haven't seen a diver ever actually diving those, though I've seen them in pictures and museums.

At least they made it easy. You can spot a catastrophe before it happens when people show up with that stuff going on.

I was only thinking that an OOG situation would be rare, and if one did happen you would have the opportunity to re stow it by looping around the canister and neck as usual once the situation was resolved.

Until that OOG situation happened, this looked a little bit cleaner.

I don't think the length adjustment would be a big deal. That is something you can work out before a dive and have a mark on the hose knowing where to stuff it to.

I'll keep looping my long hose out of habbit, but this seemed interesting to me when I saw it.

Who would have an opportunity to restuff? Your buddy. The guy who a moment ago was on your long hose and has one thought on his mind: "get to the exit." You'll be busting ass just to keep up with him, much less asking him to stop and restuff your hose.

Cleaner?!! Cleaner than what? Look at the Lake Mead photo again. The guy's a mess. Each of those loops will get snagged in a restriction. That's not theoretical, it's a real risk in cave or wreck.

Check out this video clip of an exit from a sunken submarine: UB88 - Exit

Try that with seven feet of hose down the side of your doubles.

Behind the neck is the cleanest there is.

Who would have an opportunity to restuff? Your buddy. The guy who a moment ago was on your long hose and has one thought on his mind: "get to the exit." You'll be busting ass just to keep up with him, much less asking him to stop and restuff your hose.

Cleaner?!! Cleaner than what? Look at the Lake Mead photo again. The guy's a mess. Each of those loops will get snagged in a restriction. That's not theoretical, it's a real risk in cave or wreck.

Check out this video clip of an exit from a sunken submarine: UB88 - Exit

Try that with seven feet of hose down the side of your doubles.

Behind the neck is the cleanest there is.
Every time I've heard of someone donating, it was a temporary OOA situation, IE swapping to a stage that's off, helping another diver in a panic, etc. I guess every time I've heard of donating, the hose has been restuffed :idk:

Every time I've heard of someone donating, it was a temporary OOA situation, IE swapping to a stage that's off, helping another diver in a panic, etc. I guess every time I've heard of donating, the hose has been restuffed :idk:

Right. Exactly. All the more reason not to re-stuff. Simply re-stow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom