Strobe for G10 / WP-DC28 housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hwa0421

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm now considering tray/arm set & strobe from ebay.

Sea & Sea YS-110 alpha w/ optical cable +YS arm + clamp - eBay (item 280313879940 end time Mar-18-09 03:19:02 PDT)
Underwater Aluminum arm - standard base tray w/ handle - eBay (item 280285190530 end time Mar-12-09 23:17:13 PDT)

How do you think about these deal?

Thanks,

some pics with internal flash.

c189-img_0671.jpg

fdd9-img_0694.jpg

88e1-img_0629.jpg

cad6-img_0696.jpg

Nice Pix. I got the Sea & Sea YS27 DX from them and was happy with the price & shipping time.
You will need to find a way to attach the FO cable to the WP-DC28 housing. On the one they provide (regular audio FO cable) one end is bare and the other end is trimmed to fit the Strobe. You can make your own really easy and cheaply.
In comparison to the YS-27, the built in target light is a nice feature of the YS-110, but I don't think you will get the benefit of TTL with the WP-DC28 housing.

Just order YS-27DX. This is my first ext strobe.
Please advise which camera setting for good starting point?
Thanks in advance!

b8b0-img_0652.jpg

8181-img_0682.jpg

64a6-img_0688.jpg

5dfc-img_0608.jpg

cf62-img_0680.jpg

0cbd-img_0687.jpg

88e7-img_0660.jpg

6820-img_0620.jpg

Just order YS-27DX. This is my first ext strobe.
Please advise which camera setting for good starting point?
Thanks in advance!

Wisnu posted this in another thread. Those settings are a good starting point.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/4217867-post2.html

Use manual on the camera. You will have a lot of range using the dial on the strobe and it is easy to adjust and take another shot after reviewing. Keep the shutter speed as short as possible to freeze the movement of the fish. It may take a couple of dives to get everything right. For the non-macro shots, play with underexposing the background to get that really dark (black) background that you see on some pictures. Open it up to include the ambient environment.

Also, since you got the YS-27, you may want to get a cheap focus light to help the camera focus on your subject.
Fantasea Line | LED Nano Focus Light | 6022 | B&H Photo Video

7977-img_3174.jpg

Just got tray/arm set & YS-27DX from them + 10min DIY for attach optical cable.
Very solid quality.

ejBali--Have you had a chance to dive your new setup? Just curious how you like it so far, thinking of getting the same setup. Thanks! // ww

Warmwater Wank - Last weekend I dove with my new setup.

1a36-img_0853.jpg

a834-img_0885.jpg

orig-a765-img_0868.jpg

Strobe was perfect but I really need more practice with shutter speed / f.stop.
I would like this set up to be more neutral in the water(maybe I will attach some pool noodles or pipe to arm).

Last edited:
ej-- So the setup is a bit negative buoyant or just tilts down on flash side? I was going to order the Canon weight set for the same case you have (which I'll still do if I need to use G10 without the flash setup) but does this mean you aren't using the Canon weights with this arm & flash rig? The sticky tag posts on >Underwater Photography page (page just before >Canon Corner) has some great basic exposure info if that helps. Thanks for the answer and the post! :eyebrow: // ww

Yes, You don't need additional weight for camera.
YS-27DX(-40g/underwater) & alu tray/arm make negative buoyant.

EDIT:
Ugly pvc pipe work. Hope it will be work.

6b9f-img_3181.jpg

d17e-img_3182.jpg

Last edited:
I have to thank ejBali again for starting this post--though I'm not sure my wife appreciated it! I'd been looking for an uw strobe, couldn't afford a good one, hesitant to buy a lower priced ,underpowered one. Very reluctantly (after seeing the pics of the outfit ej bought) I contacted the eBay seller who is out of Hong Kong . (Listed in the initial post of this thread.)

Long story sorta shortened, I now have a Sea & Sea YS110Alpha strobe and a very solid arm & tray set, w/ a fiber link cable. Yeah, the shipping is pricey but amazingly fast (4-5 days, maybe faster?). And the stuff is as described. A brand new, pressure tested strobe w/ diffuser, silcone gunk, owners manual etc. and solidly machined arm & tray set. In fact what was sent was a 6" and a 5" arm extension, since the seller observed I didn't need 2 YS adapters. Instead he threw in an extra extension arm.

Even seeing the 100% positive eBay reviews for the seller (out of 551 sales!) didn't quite ease my initial paranoia. I mean the guy is in Hong Kong, what if he...but hey. Worked out just like it was supposed to. He answered all of my many questions & concerns and sent several email updates along the way. In short, all went fine and it's a great setup. Hate to sound so cheery and all but in this era of ripoffs and Madoffs this was a most welcome change. Thanks again ej and thanks especially to CatLee in HK. Oh and no, I'm not connected to the seller or like that--just a very happy customer. Dang but it's a nice strobe! // ww :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom