Strobe for G10 / WP-DC28 housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You don't really have to mount it closer, just use the flexi-arms and put the focus light where you want it. The picture below is the config I used last year in Oz. G9 with Canon housing, YS-27DX and same Nano focus light being discussed.
The flex arms are really handy.
After thinking about it for about a year, I have recently aquired a 2nd G9, an Ikelite housing with a short port, a DS51 strobe with TTL cord, a second slave strobe and alum arms. The rig is about 10 times the weight on land than the one I have. I'll let you know after my next trip if the pictures are any better. I already had the Inon wide & macro lenses, and am hoping to get utility of them with the new Ikelite setup.

PS, I really was touching dead coral.
I thought about going that route (flex arms) and it looks great. I ended up opting agianst it since I don't have any flex arms and figure that this way I can keep the right side open and can easily access the camera with my big mitts. Also it leaves room should I go with a second strobe at some point. I even considered a small shoe mount flex arm to mount on the shoe, but went with the oly YS shoe adapter to keep things simple and compact. Depending on how things work out, I may switch to it at some point. Different strokes for different folks.

You don't really have to mount it closer, just use the flexi-arms and put the focus light where you want it. The picture below is the config I used last year in Oz. G9 with Canon housing, YS-27DX and same Nano focus light being discussed.
The flex arms are really handy.
After thinking about it for about a year, I have recently aquired a 2nd G9, an Ikelite housing with a short port, a DS51 strobe with TTL cord, a second slave strobe and alum arms. The rig is about 10 times the weight on land than the one I have. I'll let you know after my next trip if the pictures are any better. I already had the Inon wide & macro lenses, and am hoping to get utility of them with the new Ikelite setup.

frank_and_potato_cod.jpg

PS, I really was touching dead coral.

I like the looks of your setup. The only difference for me is I have to have a two handled-tray even without a focus light or second strobe. A two-handled tray allows me to hold the rig in my right hand and work the zoom and shutter at the same time as I did with my old homemade tray. I like having my left hand free to use my reef hook or wrist attached balance rod/stick when necessary.
I notice you are holding the rig by the camera to accomplish that.

I still haven't ruled out the YS-110Alpha in order to avoid the addition of the focus light.

I sure miss my old Inon D-180 with its focus/aiming light :depressed:

08.gif

I'm glad all of you here had success with buying your strobes/trays from nyxell on eBay in Hong Kong.

I have sent them two requests regarding purchasing a strobe from them and having it shipped to the Philippines. So far I have not gotten a reply to either?

I sent a third one today!

PS: According to the Bureau of Customs at the Manila Airport the import fee on the strobe would be 3% of the strobe price (including shipping) plus a 12% VAT (Value Added Tax) on top of that. The strobe would have to be shipped to Cebu. I would have to take the fast boat over from Bohol to claim it at FedEx or DHL and they would collect the import fee and tax.

That's part of life in the Philippines.

Got my YS27-DX from nyxel in Hong Kong and it is a nice strobe. I had it shipped directly to Bohol as the price was the same with DHL. It goes through Manila on arrival then to Bohol.

As for that 3% + 12% import fees in the Philippines, no way. The fees were outrageous. All I will say is DO NOT import anything into the Philippines unless absolutely necessary.

Just messing with it I find there is no pre-flash in the M mode on the G10. I don't think there is a pre-flash in any of the G10 modes?

QUESTION:
Since there is no pre-flash on the G10 will the auto shut-off feature on the Fisheye and Nano focus lights work since they advertise them going out with the pre-flash.
Will they go off fast enough with the main flash so as not to be in the photo?

Just messing with it I find there is no pre-flash in the M mode on the G10. I don't think there is a pre-flash in any of the G10 modes?
QUESTION:
Since there is no pre-flash on the G10 will the auto shut-off feature on the Fisheye and Nano focus lights work since they advertise them going out with the pre-flash.
Will they go off fast enough with the main flash so as not to be in the photo?
Jim,
In my experience, it appears to shut off fast enough with the main flash to not show in any pictures.
I think there may be pre-flash in the P & A modes.
Have you checked in a mirror with each mode to see if the strobe is firing at the right time? You can also do this to see if the nano is on or off.

Jim,
In my experience, it appears to shut off fast enough with the main flash to not show in any pictures.
I think there may be pre-flash in the P & A modes.
Have you checked in a mirror with each mode to see if the strobe is firing at the right time? You can also do this to see if the nano is on or off.

Thanks Frank.
Haven't checked in the mirror. I never use the P, Av or Tv modes underwater, just the M mode. I'll check all the modes in the mirror with my 27-DX.
So far I love the camera.
I set the Custom 1 for strobe shots and the Custom 2 for non-strobe shots.
Just wish you could set the ISO instead of having to turn the dial, which I am forgetting to do :shocked2: Practice, practice, and more practice.

I'll be getting the G10 & DC-28 this week and I want to get a cheap strobe. Can I go with the Ultramax, ISS 2000 or the ISTR with the G10? tray and arms, what would be a cheap combo for a beginner like me?

thanks

I'll be getting the G10 & DC-28 this week and I want to get a cheap strobe. Can I go with the Ultramax, ISS 2000 or the ISTR with the G10? tray and arms, what would be a cheap combo for a beginner like me?

thanks

I have two YS110's.. great strobes... that is a killer price...a little scary if there is a warranty issue, but mine are a couple years old, and even flooding the battery compartment only required a new cap...

Not a huge fan of a top heavy setup... but it is nice arms and tray.

hi, everybody!

has been a CD-rom for a while and just donno if I say hi here is a good idea or not.

BTW, there are solution for WA for G10 original housing.

suppose will have a dive trip to test the lens at 1 may at Aniloa philippines, but there are not good for wide angle, just make a try there. And this patend pending product will be out to the market at Hong Kong 1st at end May.:)

so...for those bought the YS-27, may need to change to YS-110A if they want to take wide angle shoot. :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom