Strobe for Olympus 5050-C

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soup2

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello, Just purchased a PT-015 for my 5050-C, Not a clue for a strobe, will be going on a dive trip to Coz in Oct. Any advise??
Thanks, Soup2

Howdy and welcome to SB!

Yeah, buy one now and practice diving with it. See our Photo forums...!!

If you haven't yet, click Forums above and start going thru the list - looking for those of interest to you, especially your local dive club. Click the link in my Sig below to PM me if I can help you around here..

:cowboy: don

Moved from intros and greets to flash dance....

I love the Inons - small, light, good power and coverage. Get one that you can attach a hard wired synch cord to later if you think you may change to dslr in future or ike housing. Otherwise the one that only allows the fibre optic cable is just fine - I still use the Inon with fibre optic with my Oly 5050 and Oly housing.

I order from Yuzo - info@naturephoto.co.jp He has excellent service and prices. If you want to stay in the US (for warranty purposes or whatever) try Ryan & Richard at www.reefphoto.com.

Ikelite also has some nice options or perhaps the Sea & Sea 90.

I'll vote for Inon too. Great little flash and the Z-240 is powerful. If I only knew how to use it... not to mention the camera.

The Inon is a very good strobe!

You should also consider the new Ikelite DS-51 with a manual EV controller. very compact and it can be used with any camera/housing.

Soup2:
Hello, Just purchased a PT-015 for my 5050-C, Not a clue for a strobe, will be going on a dive trip to Coz in Oct. Any advise??
Thanks, Soup2

This is a good value...strobe, tray and arm $149.00 Like the DS-50 (same body built like a tank) but only a slave strobe. Need to check if your camera has a preflash disable most Canons and some Olympus do.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...737&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Quality tray, arm and strobe this is not a toy.

The A35 linked above is not really in the same league as the DS51 or 125 or the Inons- a totally different animal and one which, imho, is not well suited to getting the best out of the 5050.

I personally believe that a strobe is not the place to try to skimp - light is everything in photography and a good, solid strobe will last you for years and move systems with you as you change and grow.

alcina:
The A35 linked above is not really in the same league as the DS51 or 125 or the Inons- a totally different animal and one which, imho, is not well suited to getting the best out of the 5050.

I personally believe that a strobe is not the place to try to skimp - light is everything in photography and a good, solid strobe will last you for years and move systems with you as you change and grow.

I see your point, I tried and tested both strobes as well and measured the same flash strength on both strobes and the same beam angle, use a Minolta flashmeter during test. The A35 also comes with a diffuser.

The A35 and the 50 have the same plastic case, the A35 like the 50 has been around for many years a very simple and reliable design.

from Ikelite
Strobes for many of the new digital cameras must fulfill requirements that are different than what has been required for film cameras.

Some of the digital cameras require a small initial preflash before the standard flash, allowing the camera to gain exposure information. The camera may not provide the best results without this preflash. The two flashes happen almost instantaneously. Most strobes for film cameras can not produce this rapid flash sequence.

Normal TTL strobes will exhaust their energy in the preflash and can not recycle fast enough to provide energy to flash for the photograph; or the strobe system must be capable of ignoring the preflash to produce a flash in sync with the main flash of the camera. Ignoring the preflash can cause camera exposure problems.

Current Ikelite Digital SubStrobes can provide both a preflash and a TTL flash when used with the TTL conversion circuitry in many Ikelite housings.
The A35 and the older orange and black ss and M series Ikelite strobes do not handle the pre-flash generated by digital cameras. If you can disable the pre-flash, it may work but you will give up any advanced exposure control the camera would otherwise do.

Back
Top Bottom