Strobe for sd850/wp-dc15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MDavis

New
Reaction score
New to underwater photography. Looking at buying Canon SD850 with WP-DC15 housing, what strobe would be recommended to go with it?
Thanks for the help.

Welcome to SB. You might wanna look at the Inon strobes..

Welcome!

First, double check that the SD range is really what you want. Excellent land & go anywhere cameras, but their lack of control over shutter and aperture makes them a so-so choice for underwater. Some models do have a manual white balance available and this will help.

You might want to consider the Canon A range. Not quite as small but infinitely more versatile. And the extra control can make a huge difference in your photos.

For strobes, Ikelite, Sea&Sea and Inon all make options. I like the small, light Inon's personally.

Please check out the Pink Link in my signature which takes you to the sticky at the top of the UW Photo area. Inside you will find more information on camera and strobes including links to images/discussion on particular models and a link to the excellent Strobe Finder so you can compare features and find the one to suit your needs.

You can also contact Ryan & Richard at www.reefphoto.com for all of your underwater camera needs!

Alcina,
Thanks for the help, but I am buying the sd850 more for land use. Since I can buy the UW housing with this camera, I am in need of knowing if it will work with a strobe and if so, which strobe do you recommend. After using this camera, I will get the urge to upgrade to a better camera.
Thanks again for your help.

It also depends on what you want to spend and how much you're going to use it. Inon, S&S and so forth makes great strobes, but the strobe head alone starts at around $400 on up. You'll also need a tray, arms and a sync cord.

Fantasea Line has a great small strobe that will work great with your camera called the NanoFlash. I sell it in lighting packages that start at $219.

coolflashnanoset1a.jpg

Jack

MDavis:
Alcina,
I am in need of knowing if it will work with a strobe and if so, which strobe do you recommend. .

Did you follow the links and suggestions in post #3? If so, perhaps you have more specific questions than the compiled information could offer? Happy to help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom