Struggling with weighting issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brocnizer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So next week I will be buying all my my dive equipment (below) and to round off the package I need some weights.

Now, when I was diving at the resorts, I was using 8-10 pounds in warm Caribbean water and that's really the only water I will be diving in.

So, knowing that the rental equipment is different, should I still assume to some degree that I will roughly need the same weight to purchase? I'm doing a 2 week dive trip late august in the keys and need my own weights since I will not be on a resort and even using my own boat. Being in NJ, it will be hard to "test" neutral buoyancy in tropical waters.

Here is the run down of the people:

Male: 5'10'' 158 pounds
Female: 5'5'' 138 pounds (man is she going to kill me if she sees this on here)

Equipment the same for both:
Zeagle Scout BCD
Oceanic Alpha 8 CDX5 regulator
Oceanic Alpha 8 Octo
Oceanic Veo 100 dive computer console

It will also depend upon your exposure suit and what size cylinder you are using.

First off, if your diving with any dive op in the keys they will supply weights and even if they don't you can rent them. I am about your size and dive a Scout. I dive no weights in fresh water and 4 to 6 in salt- no wetsuit and AL-80s. 8 to10 lbs with a 5mm wetsuit in saltwater. The Scout has little inherent bouyancy. If I had to guess your weight should be in the 4 to 8 lb and the lady slightly more, they float better than we do. :)

If you need to pinpoint all of this in advance then get the gear and sort it out in a comfortable pond or pool.

To translate to salt water add a pound for every 40 pounds of dry diver weight (diver and ALL gear while dry) Probably 6 pounds for you and 5 for her.

Be sure to have some small weights in the mix. As you each get attuned with the new gear and dive frequently you will probably have the opportunity shed some in small increments.

Pete

If you need to pinpoint all of this in advance then get the gear and sort it out in a comfortable pond or pool.

To translate to salt water add a pound for every 40 pounds of dry diver weight (diver and ALL gear while dry) Probably 6 pounds for you and 5 for her.

Be sure to have some small weights in the mix. As you each get attuned with the new gear and dive frequently you will probably have the opportunity shed some in small increments.

Pete

Thanks

I think I will buy 20 pounds total for the both of us then.

Maybe (4) four pounds and (4) one pound

Anything that approaches "pushing it" is a bad deal. It will go downhill in a repetitive situation. I'd consider some sort of neoprene wetsuit. Besides who wants to end dives after :45?

So next week I will be buying all my my dive equipment (below) and to round off the package I need some weights.

Now, when I was diving at the resorts, I was using 8-10 pounds in warm Caribbean water and that's really the only water I will be diving in.

So, knowing that the rental equipment is different, should I still assume to some degree that I will roughly need the same weight to purchase? I'm doing a 2 week dive trip late august in the keys and need my own weights since I will not be on a resort and even using my own boat. Being in NJ, it will be hard to "test" neutral buoyancy in tropical waters.

Here is the run down of the people:

Male: 5'10'' 158 pounds
Female: 5'5'' 138 pounds (man is she going to kill me if she sees this on here)

Equipment the same for both:
Zeagle Scout BCD
Oceanic Alpha 8 CDX5 regulator
Oceanic Alpha 8 Octo
Oceanic Veo 100 dive computer console

I use 9 #s in freshwater with an 80 Al tank on a Scout BC, 5 mm tall booties, 3 mm full Evo wetsuit, skins, a 2mm hooded vest(also 1 mm gloves)......My vitals are male, 5'10", 200 lbs(and old......lol)......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom