Stuck with beginner diver who runs out of air in 20 mins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's certainly true, it's only a solution for someone who uses moderately more air for maybe a good reason - only a small part of a temporary solution for the 20 minute diver. It's possible having more air even if only 25% might make someone relax a little which could also help a bit. (I suppose it's equally possible the bigger tank could throw them off enough to negate the advantage. )

Not all actually, but I think there have been suggestions to that effect. But helping the new diver get to a good enough point could wind up taking much of the trip. And the paying customers shouldn't be expected to do it (unless someone wants to), nor have their dives massively shortened beyond what nearly anyone would consider acceptable for most of a trip. Any liveaboard or dive op really needs to be able to handle a situation like this better. If there's no way they can or will, they should tell potential customers that up front. ("All dives must be in a group with the divemaster, the group must ascend when the first diver gets low on air." That would go a long way to steering away any customers that care about this.)

Really, it would be best if a new diver who knew they consumed air like this didn't put themselves in a situation like this. Dive where they can pay for a private DM who can work with them. Unfortunately I'd guess some divers in this situation might not know what they don't know yet, and won't think of it. So it's left to a dive op to deal with it.

Very true, it's entirely possible (and probable) that a newer diver would have their buoyancy / trim so jacked up that a larger (unfamiliar) tank would make them worse off.

I am really glad that my wife gets seasick. Because of that little fact, we have never considered going on a LOB. It's probably a good thing because I would be the diver who runs out of air first, however, I am getting better. With that being said, I think that IF I were going to do a LOB, that I would want to ensure that my gas consumption was in line with other divers on my dives leading up to the LOB trip. If I'm doing half the time of others that I'm diving with, I would reconsider doing a trip where everyone on the trip has to surface when I do. While acknowledging that everyone has a "breathing curve", it should be made a point of awareness early in one's training.
As for the OP's situation, it is obvious to me that @ange2014 discuss their displeasure with the Dive Op. All of our opinions are just print on a screen.

Cheers - M²

I am one of those people who will, in all likelyhood, have a high SAC compared to most. Reason is my size (6'3 and fairly well built). I will always struggle to match someone of "average height and weight". With that in mind, if I am on a LOB, I will order larger tanks (15l instead of the standard 12l). That allows me to pretty much match most others timewise.

I have on occasion also had the " hose of shame" from the DM to extend the dive(who was quite happy to share it as required).

I would not have been happy though if everyones dives were cut short due to me running short - I discuss it with my buddy and we surface as a pair irrespective of who drains the tank. If it is a mandatory DM led dive (either policy of the boat or location), then the crew and DM should be making allowances for it (by bringing a larger tank for the "hose of shame", bringing an additional stage etc). The rest of the customers should not be getting "downgraded" time wise due to one diver (certainly not to the extent of 10-20 mins).

I did my third trip on Belize Aggressor III three weeks ago, and they had Steel 100s available. In the initial setup on the dive deck, they described the different tanks available and told everyone to choose whatever kind of tank they liked and then they would move it, if necessary, to that person's "station" for fills and use throughout the week. Very well done; no pressure; no big "notoriety" if anyone cares about that. I routinely use about 20% more air than my dive buddy, and the bigger tank solves that really well.

When I am on vacation, there is no way I am going to let a situation like this "control" my diving. Anywhere I have ever travelled, I made a point of knowing the dive policies prior to booking.

I have never heard of a dive op that would expect the entire group to end their dive when the weakest diver has to surface... to be blunt, that's just pure BS. I'd have been having a frank conversation with the DM/Captain following the first dive...

I agree completely with Stoo.
Well said.

When I am on vacation, there is no way I am going to let a situation like this "control" my diving. Anywhere I have ever travelled, I made a point of knowing the dive policies prior to booking.

I have never heard of a dive op that would expect the entire group to end their dive when the weakest diver has to surface... to be blunt, that's just pure BS. I'd have been having a frank conversation with the DM/Captain following the first dive...

I'm not doing my first liveaboard until next month. That said, when I did my OW dives in Aruba, the group diving with the other DM on the boat had one person who used air faster. He surfaced and snorkeled above that group while the other divers finished their dive and his partner buddied up with the DM. That's what they arranged for that group. It would seem that in decent seas, that should be something most groups could arrange for or something similar.

Perhaps.. I think there are a number of solutions to this situation... they chose the worst possible one.

Mind you, whichever way the guided tour goes, I'm going the opposite if possible...

Perhaps.. I think there are a number of solutions to this situation... they chose the worst possible one.

Mind you, whichever way the guided tour goes, I'm going the opposite if possible...
Agreed on point one but point two is probably only an option for the more experienced or confident divers.

Agreed on point one but point two is probably only an option for the more experienced or confident divers.

I am used to diving at places where divers are treated like adults. Using the guide as a baby-sitter is always an option and many choose to use them... not always because they aren't confident, but because the guide may be able to show off specific points of interest.

As a photographer, I need to get away from the others... random limbs, spooked beasts, kicked up silt... none of these make the shot any easier~

You aren't wrong however.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom