Studying for DM sucks!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

on_two_wheels

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm far from a science guy. If that's not enough, I'm a hands-on learner. So this material being self-study sucks! I did OW in a classroom but THIS has to be self study?!! :shakehead: Oh well...back to it.

Take a DEEP breath and go through it one step at a time.

Try reading the relevant section in the Recreational Encyclopedia, highlighting the important stuff and then going through that section in the Workbook.

If you're having trouble with any particular concept, give me a PM.

Awe, I'm sure it is hard. I'm wishing you the best! I'm certain you will do well! :wink1:

[QUOTE=
Try reading the relevant section in the Recreational Encyclopedia, highlighting the important stuff and then going through that section in the Workbook.

This worked well for me. You'll still get a few oddly worded questions on the tests (PADI does this) but you can't go wrong using the Workbook and highlighting. I found physics hardest, then physiology. I studied 7-8 months before the course started. Good luck.

The DM theory was easy!
Even the physics was a breeze, I dunno why everyone complains about it being hard.

Dont be a jerk.

There is no requirement for it to be self study. Talk to your instructor about it. They should be helping you. I did the majority by self study and then debriefed with my instructor and talked about concepts that were more difficult for me prior to taking the tests.

You will be extremely happy when you are finished. Its worth it. Just git-er done!

Everyone learns differently. You have to find the method which works for you. I find preparing notes and re-writing the information helps me. Basically, the wording and format used in the reference material isn't the way I would word it. So it is hard for me to remember it. If I re-word it and imagine myself explaining it to someone else it becomes easier to remember and understand.

What Fisheater said. Find the relevant sections in the encyclopedia (Boyle's law, Charles Law, etc., and apply them to the basic qu4estion variations). Then practice the questions from the workbook until you recognize and match them to solution strategies. That way when you see them on the exam you will remember the steps. Yes, your instructor will also have some handy tips and strategies. Don't hesitate to ask. Good luck!

The DM theory was easy!
Even the physics was a breeze, I dunno why everyone complains about it being hard.

If you have to tell someone how great you are, you're not that great. :rofl3: Thanks for the useful comment.

To all the others: Thanks. I do have a great resource for help to put everything in layman's terms so I'll be much better off later this week. Sometimes ya just gotta vent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom