Studying for DM sucks!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good luck with the studying. If you need any help I (and others) would be happy to help you out. :)

It is common for the student to be given some time for self-study, before the instructor works with the student to reinforce that study and eliminate any weak areas. Confirm with your instructor that he will be working with you on this before your exams.

The DM academics can be a shock to students, especially if they have been outside of a formal learning environment for many years. However, there will come a point where it all starts to make sense.

You should have a copy of the Encylopedia of Recreational diving to assist your studies. YOu might want to investigate the electronic copy of that also... it is interactive and has lots of good video clips and supplementary info to make things interesting. This, along with many other learning materials, may be available for torrent download, if you searched :wink:

Of course, being a valued member of Scubaboard.... you also have an amazing resource at your fingertips. There is a huge wealth of well-explained information here on the forum, which can be searched for. In addition, I am sure that many of the instructors, DMs and other experienced divers here would be happy to assist you :)

Good luck with the study. It'll all become clear in due course! :)

Devon....yeah, I have the materials. I was just getting into the theory stuff at the time of the post. Thanks.

Look into PADI dive theory online, well worth it I though!

The Encyclopedia is incredibly valuable, when you are going through the workbooks. But if some of the math or physics is hard, schedule a meeting with your mentoring instructor, and have him take you through some sample problems, until you guys identify and correct the problems you're having.

By the time you're working on DM, you are expected to be able to do what you can, and know when to call for help -- it's the same with the academics as it is with the in-water skills.

Enjoy it -- mastering all this theory WILL help your diving.

Is there something specific that we can help with?

I was actually venting since I was going blind reading the encyclopedia. It's as bland as some of my military manuals. Math isn't exactly a strong suit of mine but I have a hand in that area. Thanks!! Gotta love SB!!

The only reasons I found the theory easy is:
1. When I was completing the theory component, I was on Summer break at University - DM theory is a holiday compared to doing some of the university subjects I had been studying!
2. 99% of the questions could be answered directly from the textbook, there was barely any need to project or hypothesize anything.
3. The SSI exam itself was poorly written and in my opinion gave away a lot of answers.

When you are studying a subject, you have to find a good way to learn it. Using anagrams, analogies and visualizing the concepts all work, but find a method that suits you.

One thing I did notice was that the theory wasn't as interesting as I was hoping it to be, it actually seemed too simple in some regards, however being a Dive master isn't about theory its about knowing the skills.

Def - most of the divemaster stuff is self - study.
Between the Knowledge Workbook and Chapters 1,2,3, 5, and 6 you should be able to get through almost all. Read chapter 5 properly as it explain the bubble model and that one can be a little tough for some to get their head around it. If I havent taught it in a couple months I sometimes myself have to give it a thought.
Open Water diver manual, chapter 3, is a good one for the skills and enviro test.

Apart for that , yeah the Encyclopedia is prolly one of the best sources of information relating to diving. Ive been teaching for over 2 years, diving since more than 10 years and still use it.

I am currently working in a 5 star PADI CDC dive center and mentor about 2 - 4 divemaster trainees per month. If you need any help or advice give me a shout.

rgds
Nick

Do

The DM theory was easy!
Even the physics was a breeze, I dunno why everyone complains about it being hard.

Because Math does not come easy for EVERYONE!!!

I had a hard time with Physics, Now I teach it, but it was a hard road for me and many other's, Now physiology was a breeze!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom