Studying for DM sucks!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well the new DM course (sadly) has a lot less theory in it. Not sure how anyone is meant to be a "professional" (even though i HATE that term used for a DM) if they have no background knowledge on how things work.

As for the steps in the skills - thats what the instructor is there for. It shouldn't be done off a video or anything like that. Time spent with an instructor to show you his way AND other ways is whats needed rather than robotically learning something off a dvd

Well the new DM course (sadly) has a lot less theory in it. Not sure how anyone is meant to be a "professional" (even though i HATE that term used for a DM) if they have no background knowledge on how things work.

As for the steps in the skills - thats what the instructor is there for. It shouldn't be done off a video or anything like that. Time spent with an instructor to show you his way AND other ways is whats needed rather than robotically learning something off a dvd

I general, where have they cut down on the theory (decompression, physics, physiology)? Out of curiosity, can you give an example of something that has been cut? As far as the skills, I guess my problem is that at least for me, not enough pool time was spent with the instructor going over them. Plenty of time just practising alone and with a fellow DMC. After I finish, I can see DMing only several classes a season, due to my location away from the LDS. Having a video or list of some sort would surely help me retain proper techniques in between those classes.

Except there's too many instructors that show you their way because any other way must not be right. :shakehead: As for reduced theory and such, I'm not in that group. In fact, instructors "can" continue the current course until July 2011. As was said....can you give an example of what you're suggesting was removed from the course?

when I stared my DM course I had the option to wait a few weeks and be the first to do the new course or start when I did and be the last one with the old course. From what my instructor told me, he said that its more hands on but with less classroom instruction. knowing who I learn, I need that classroom time so I opted to be the last DM with the old material. One thing I do Like about the new DM course is that there is a practical application to set up a dive and lead the dive as you would if you were doing it for real. Im a big fan of hands on work.

Isn't that in the old course too?it's under the heading divemaster conducted programs.

when I stared my DM course I had the option to wait a few weeks and be the first to do the new course or start when I did and be the last one with the old course. From what my instructor told me, he said that its more hands on but with less classroom instruction. knowing who I learn, I need that classroom time so I opted to be the last DM with the old material. One thing I do Like about the new DM course is that there is a practical application to set up a dive and lead the dive as you would if you were doing it for real. Im a big fan of hands on work.

I'm no expert, but as a former school teacher I tend to think it's better to be trained a bit more in the practical and maybe a bit less in the (classroom) subject matter. But both are very important.

Physics does not come easy to every one..... I'm sure there are a few things you're not perfect at.

This is a five year old thread - this is your first post - you going to start with that comment? Seriously? Lol - your going to love it here.

Yeah. When I joined like 7 years ago I replied to about 10+ threads from yesteryear. Had no idea people didn't do that, and was quickly told that! Well, in 2007 you'd have to define "social media" to me.

This is a five year old thread - this is your first post - you going to start with that comment? Seriously? Lol - your going to love it here.
How gracious !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom