Stupid Question???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fred R.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I know there is not supposed to be such a thing as a stupid question, unless it is the one you don’t ask and should have. Having said that, I answer a lot of questions in the marketing of my scuba business and this question really stood out. This question appeared in my inbox yesterday and I have to share;

"I’m looking to visit the Bahamas in Feb and am considering doing some scuba diving. When you list $45.00 for one dive trip, how many times do you go down on a trip (one or two?)."

I was borderline boggled, what do you think?

I know there is not supposed to be such a thing as a stupid question, unless it is the one you don’t ask and should have. Having said that, I answer a lot of questions in the marketing of my scuba business and this question really stood out. This question appeared in my inbox yesterday and I have to share;

"I’m looking to visit the Bahamas in Feb and am considering doing some scuba diving. When you list $45.00 for one dive trip, how many times do you go down on a trip (one or two?)."

It depends on the dive company. Probably two, but you should ask them.

Well, sounds like someone who has never taken a trip. He/she could be a certified diver with their own boat or does nothing but shore dives...or they could be someone who thinks for $45 you get to go diving-no training required, but again, not so stupid. Diving doesn't 'look' that hard. I could understand if someone thought you just rented the equipment and jumped in.

What exactly do you find odd...and how many dives will $45 cover :wink:

I think it's a valid query, especially for a new dive traveler (assuming he is certified).

Most boat trips in U.S. (well, Florida, at least) are two tanks. Even then, night dives usually are one.

However, I've been to several locations in Caribbean where - owing to shorter boat runs - boat dives generally were one tank. At $45, I'd have to guess one tank - but I couldn't say without asking.

Maybe I should mention, the 'one dive trip' is right next to the 'two dive trip' on the website...

Is the two dive trip separate days or can you do one dive trip in the morning and the other in the afternoon.:blinking:

All such ads I have seen refer to 1-tank dives and 2-tank dives. At $45 it could be a somewhat expensive 1-tank dive trip or a real bargain for a 2-tank dive trip. Making fun of potential customers may not be good for business.

I'm not making fun of a potential customer, I am trying to figure out how to be clear and concise so that my website accurately communicates my intent. It is apparently not easy at all.

Those of you not in this business also need to remember, in a couple of weeks, I will be responsible for this person.

Well, to be brutally honest you've actually got a subtle but significant typo on your website.

You list "one dive trip" and "two dive trip" which - assuming you meant to convey the number of dives per trip - is grammatically incorrect.

As you have it written currently, the numbers "one" and "two" are actually modifiers of the word "trip" telling the reader "how many trips" they will get for $45, not "how many dives per trip." The word "dive" also merely modifies the word "trip" telling people what kind of trip - "dive trip" versus "ski trip" - but still not conveying how many dives each trip comprises.

The correct way to say what I'm assuming you're trying to say would be to hyphenate the number and the word "trip" to make one word out of the two: "one-dive trip" or "two-dive trip." In that way you're correctly telling the reader "how many dives" comprise each trip.

For example:

• One car garage tells me how many garages (one) and what can be parked inside (cars, not trucks, etc) but does not tell me how MANY cars the garage accomodates.
  • One-car garage correctly tells me both the TYPE of garage (car) and HOW MANY cars can be parked inside.

Beyond that, wondering why you haven't worded your offering like the rest of the industry by referring to the number of TANKS "one-tank trip" vs "two-tank trip" etc. Much clearer - with or without typos!

:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom