Suggestion for op Lauderdale area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know if you could call deepstops a local, he lives far out west with the alligators.
He doesn't know much about diving the local scene neither, I think he only did like 4 dives all of last year and he gets large kickbacks from whomever he recommends.

Now, to the original posters question.
Brian is right, do your drift further north and your wreck further south.
I know you said they like drift, but they shouldn't discount some Broward wreck diving.
If I were to go on vacation down here and I could chose only one dive to do (and I've done a few), it would be a wreck like the Sea Emperor. It is the experience of a lifetime to meet some locals who know all about diving like Ray, Stubby, Baby, Fred and Ethel and something almost guaranteed to happen and your wife and daughter could talk about this for the rest of their lives.
I personally like Parrot Island Scuba charter for almost all my recreational diving and would highly recommend them and Fill Express for all your tank needs.

BTW, I was just kidding about deepstops, he doesn't really live that far out west and I think those four dives are usually his weekend schedule and no kickbacks, only always here to help out others. :D

Come and dive the panhandle. You'll find nothing but nice folks up here.

Oh, and before this starts a north v. south war, that's not the intention. All I'm saying is I've encountered nothing but nice, welcoming divers in the panhandle and am one of those myself.

I have actually always wanted to dive the Panhandle. Have a friend from here (NorCal) getting restationed in Destin (wdunne311) - not sure if you are around there, but he's moving there and we might head over at some point. He's a great diver though - and really nice.

So, at some point we are going to come around and do the panhandle and the western FL coast. We'll have to see how nice you all are! :D (just kidding).

I have actually always wanted to dive the Panhandle. Have a friend from here (NorCal) getting restationed in Destin (wdunne311) - not sure if you are around there, but he's moving there and we might head over at some point. He's a great diver though - and really nice.

So, at some point we are going to come around and do the panhandle and the western FL coast. We'll have to see how nice you all are! :D (just kidding).

Destin is about 1.5 hours from me, to the SW. I haven't been diving there yet. It's a long haul through the sand and small shallow area to dive. The boat diving might be better though.

I'm also from the NY area but came to FL in 1999. At first, I couldn't wait to go back but after a little bit it gets into your blood and now you'd have to drag me back kicking and screaming. I feel claustrophobic when I go back to NYC, everyone always rushing and running around, too noisy too.

Anyways, back on topic. Since my wife is going for her first open water dives this coming weekend (we are hoping) we were thinking of going to SFDH to get in some reasonably shallow (50-70ft) reef, drift and wreck dives in. I always liked SFDH because of my past experience with them. Last few times I was on their boats (only the coral princess and aqua view) they had a DM go down before the wreck dives, attached a line from the boat to a buoy to the wreck and came back reporting conditions for vis, current, etc. The drift dives we were put out with groups of 4 or so and a buoy on a line and the boat drifted with us following the buoys so it was never a long wait to get back on board. Are these practices common for other operations such as parrot island? I really liked their atmosphere and want my wife to be comfortable and confident on her first open water experience. I also like the incredible amount of space on their boats.

Perhaps I should split up the two days diving between parrot and SFDH.

Any suggestions?

BTW, my wife doesn't really care what we do for our first trip to dive open water, she just wants to have fun, wreck, reef, drift, makes no difference to her.

Last few times I was on their boats (only the coral princess and aqua view) they had a DM go down before the wreck dives, attached a line from the boat to a buoy to the wreck and came back reporting conditions for vis, current, etc. The drift dives we were put out with groups of 4 or so and a buoy on a line and the boat drifted with us following the buoys so it was never a long wait to get back on board. Are these practices common for other operations such as parrot island? I really liked their atmosphere and want my wife to be comfortable and confident on her first open water experience. I also like the incredible amount of space on their boats.

Perhaps I should split up the two days diving between parrot and SFDH.

Any suggestions?

Yes, that's pretty much the norm on boats carrying a DM. Parrot Island runs a great operation and for me it, it comes down to the parking situation and the price. Parrot Island has SFDH beat on both accounts IMO.

Once you've built up a some confidence and honed your skills, I'd suggest trying a six-pack boat like the Avid Diver or Miss Conduct (both are also in Pompano).

Fortunately, I have a good dive secretary to make all the arrangements... only he's a little needy, you have to make him think he's the sun, and we're just moons revolving around him... a bit of a primadonna... but I gather everyone already picked that up about Brian... :rofl3:

But I'm great at what I do ..... :D

Yes, that's pretty much the norm on boats carrying a DM. Parrot Island runs a great operation and for me it, it comes down to the parking situation and the price. Parrot Island has SFDH beat on both accounts IMO.

Once you've built up a some confidence and honed your skills, I'd suggest trying a six-pack boat like the Avid Diver or Miss Conduct (both are also in Pompano).

But I'm great at what I do ..... :D

Sounds great, thanks. I guess I'll use both operators just so my wife can get a feel of the differences between operations and we can have two to choose from. I definitely want to get out on SFDH because the owner of my LDS doesn't believe that there is a giant middle finger on the way out to sea :) I really want to snag a pic of it to show him.

Is that giant hand still there?

No..., it's been removed for some time... When I first moved down here ~3 years ago I heard stories about it, but never saw it. It was on public display from the backyard of Al Goldstein, publisher of the magazine "Screw"

Apparently it was an 11' statue, originally used as a prop in the TV show "Spin City"

the owner of my LDS doesn't believe that there is a giant middle finger on the way out to sea :) I really want to snag a pic of it to show him.

I don't know if it is still there, should be, but when I find the pic I took of it, I'll post it. :camera:

I don't know if it is still there, should be, but when I find the pic I took of it, I'll post it. :camera:

Thank you very much. If you find it that would be awesome.

No..., it's been removed for some time... When I first moved down here ~3 years ago I heard stories about it, but never saw it. It was on public display from the backyard of Al Goldstein, publisher of the magazine "Screw"

Apparently it was an 11' statue, originally used as a prop in the TV show "Spin City"

Oh well that just sucks :(

I had one picture of it from back in the dark ages when i actually used "gasp" film but for the life of me I cant find it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom