Suggestions for next dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pm3009

Reaction score
Hi. Out of the following Carribean Islands, which would you suggest for great diving, and hopefully some nice beaches. I'd like to go somewhere I haven't been yet. Also, will be traveling with someone that will be doing their 4 open water certification dives during this trip, so I need to take that into consideration. Thanks! Pam

I'm considering (feel free to make other suggestions):

Dominica
Little Cayman
Cayman Brac
Curacao
St John

I've already been to:

Roatan
Grand Turk (several times)
Providenciales
Bonaire
Grand Cayman
Cozumel (several times)
Aruba

You might want to mention what time of year you're thinking of going. For example, for a beginner or anyone subject to sea-sickness, I'd not recommend the Cayman Sister islands in the winter months. Similarly, St. John if they don't like their warmwater to be too cool. OTOH, if the trip's to be in July/August, any of these places would be quite enjoyable for a first-timer.

-hh

I'm considering (feel free to make other suggestions):

Dominica
Little Cayman
Cayman Brac
Curacao
St John

I've already been to:

Roatan
Grand Turk (several times)
Providenciales
Bonaire
Grand Cayman
Cozumel (several times)
Aruba

I have been to all the places mentioned and yet we always go back to Little Cayman at least once a year. Can't beat Little Cayman Beach Resort and the valet style of diving!

Network Analyst - likes Scuba diving - likes motorcycles...

I don't know where you should go, but can I go with you? :D

My first choice from your list would be St. John, which certainly has the beaches and easier dives for the newbie. It also has some more challenging possibilities if you include the nearby BVI's as well- which can easily be done from St. John in a day.
Another Island to possibly consider might be St. Lucia. Good Luck DD

Another Island to possibly consider might be St. Lucia. Good Luck DD

I'm not biased - no, seriously i'm not :eyebrow:

But St Lucia would be another good option...there's a good variety of dive sites available (drift, wreck, atoll)
One of my mum's friends came out and did his OW course at Scuba St Lucia based at the Anse Chastanet resort.

Just my tuppence worth:wink::D

Lottie

Of the ones you listed, I've only been to St. John (last April) and Little Cayman (2004). Let me just say that Little Cayman is the best diving I've ever done; Bloody Bay Wall is amazing. However, there is NOTHING to do on that island but dive & hang out at your hotel, so if you're wanting that kind of relaxing vacation I'd say Little Cayman.

However, if you want great beaches, good diving, & lots to do topside, then it's St. John. Trunk Bay & other beaches there are incredible. Also, there is lots of hiking since the island is mostly a protected park. I loved hanging out at Woody's Boathouse on St. John, a lot of local characters there. Moreover, you can take the ferry over to St. Thomas in 15 minutes. You could also do one of the best wreck dives there is by hooking up w/ Chris Stewart's dive op in Caneel Bay & going over to the BVI's to dive the Rhone.

Diver Donn,

Can you tell me about diving St. Lucia? I've never been there & I'm considering it for the end of March. What is the island like?
Is the diving as good as The Caymans, Cozumel, & Bonaire or is more just decent like the USVI?

Hi Pam,

I love Little Cayman, and I imagine people get certified on LC, but I'd save that island for another trip when your friends have had more diving experience.

We like St. John a lot, and spent nearly 3 weeks there in 04. However, our favorite islands, since we often vacation with either non-divers or persons who do not want to dive as often as others, are the BVI. I've just posted some info about the BVI on another thread here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gr...ip-some-non-divers-any-recommendations-2.html

Good luck, alashas honeymoon2's photos- powered by SmugMug

Back
Top Bottom