Suggestions on Atomic B2 or Scuba Pro Mk25/S600 or other regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sunshine...strictly from a service standpoint you might think about the ScubaPro unless you have an Atomic Authorized Service Center.

Hi, I checked out the link you provided and there indeed got a service centre in Singapore (wakiki dive centre).. ain't sure why it was listed under Malaysia but postal code is clearly Singapore.

The Atomic Z3 and the B2 are virtually the same regulator just a little less expensive materials (titanium vs.zirconium over brass in their 2nd stages) in its manufacturing. The Z3 (and B2s) also have the comport swivel that many divers like.

The B2 has a swivel turret the Z3 doesn't have. If he doesn't get the B2 (recommendations sealed first stage), then he should get the Z2. The Z2 is exactly the Z3 but without the overly expensive proprietary second stage swivel. He can buy the Z2 and buy the LP omniswivel for his second stage and will have a less expensive setup and no proprietary parts (meaning the second stage LP hose can be replaced without having to replace the swivel at the same time).

Hi, I checked out the link you provided and there indeed got a service centre in Singapore (wakiki dive centre).. ain't sure why it was listed under Malaysia but postal code is clearly Singapore.
Awesomesauce... :)

The B2 has a swivel turret the Z3 doesn't have. If he doesn't get the B2 (recommendations sealed first stage), then he should get the Z2. The Z2 is exactly the Z3 but without the overly expensive proprietary second stage swivel. He can buy the Z2 and buy the LP omniswivel for his second stage and will have a less expensive setup and no proprietary parts (meaning the second stage LP hose can be replaced without having to replace the swivel at the same time).
That is also an option. :)

Isn't it a must to service the regulator once every 2 years but manufacturer recommendation ?

It isn't a "must," it is recommended. With Atomic, you won't lose warranty if you skipped it.

I read up the website that Atomic got limited warranty. Can I check on what is meant by 'limited', like what is cover or cost involved? Does it mean that exceeding a certain time frame and there won't be warranty coverage for Atomic B2 ? Personally I don't service my regulator ando definitely send for servicing.

I don't know the specific terms of the Atomic warranty but it means they will cover any mfg. defects irrespective of your servicing it per their recommendation.

Lastly, in terms of raising the B2, I read that due to the seat saving orifice, user have to be more careful when raising and not advisable to soak the B2 as water might enter from 2nd stage to the 1st stage.

I soak both but keep the LP hose between the first stage and second stage high up so no water would go in (if it would go in). It is fresh clean water anyways so it won't be an issue. I always put the regulator on Tank with air and blow it dry by pressing the purge button for few seconds after soaking it in fresh water before storage. Never had a problem with Atomic first or second stages at all. It is a none issue.

I read that the swivel is build in a way it's permanently seal together with the hose, so meaning changing hose will include the swivel, what will be the cost be ?

I read that the swivel is build in a way it's permanently seal together with the hose, so meaning changing hose will include the swivel, what will be the cost be ?

Yes, the swivel is part of the hose and if you have to replace the hose, you will have to replace the swivel with it. Very expensive proposition for me. This is my only complaint about the Atomic regulator line. If they had the swivel independent of the hose, it would have been most ideal. For this reason, I won't buy the Z3 if I wanted to buy a Z reg., I'd go for the Z2 which is a duplicate of the Z3 without the built in swivel at the second stage hose.

My understanding is Scubapro are 24 month service interval.
http://www.scubapro.com/en-US/USA/product-support.aspx?subject=care
c. The equipment must be serviced every 24 months or 100 dives (e.g. examined, serviced, and if required, repaired) by an Authorized SCUBAPRO UWATEC Dealer. This maintenance must be documented (we suggest our SCUBAPRO Log/Service Book). Only original SCUBAPRO parts should be used for maintenance and repair.

Agreed on scubapro is more worldwid recognised, however, in terms of servicing interval, Atomic is 2 yes and given my average dive trips of 2 to 4. Will it be more cost effective in the long run ??

If you are only taking a few trips a year, servicing your regs every two years is a waste of money, let alone every year. If you are really trying to be cost effective, I would get something far less expensive than either of these, and dive it for several years. There are many threads on regulator servicing costs and policies if you want to search for them.

Both of these regs are very high end and will perform extremely well. Just don't get caught up in the required serving ("free" parts) scam.

Atomic doesn't have "free parts" program. I don't think that SP has one outside North America either but may require two year servicing to validate the mfg. general warranty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom