Suggestions on Atomic B2 or Scuba Pro Mk25/S600 or other regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let us know how you like the B2 :).

I wish there were some kind of "try before you buy" program - it might take some of the mystery out of an expensive purchase. Then again, I suspect the B2, Mk25/S600, or Legend LX would be so much better than the rental regulators I've used that I might not be able to tell them apart.

You probably wouldn't be able to tell much difference between any decent quality regulator that's in good working order and tuned correctly. Certainly all of them perform adequately.

In terms of minimizing risk on an expensive regulator purchase, that's easy. Buy a less expensive regulator and continue to enjoy diving. I use regulators in caves that cost me less than $150, and that's for two sets. (MK10s, D300, 109)

Regs have not significantly improved in a few decades and there are excellent deals to be had on used regulators. The dive gear industry has done an excellent job of hyping regulators (aka 'life support') so that unsuspecting divers shell out a LOT of money for very simple devices that have a pretty easy job; reducing the pressure in the tank to ambient pressure on demand.

@tdallen - You looking to get a set of reg? Halocline offered excellent point. The technology for regulators really have not changed in the past 20-30 years. Get any well-maintained second regulators will do a great job and most likely you won't notice the difference. A Conshelf XIV or SP MK10/G250 will probably be able to last you a lifetime.

@halocline - Vintage regulators here in the region are hard to come by. Also, the locals are not like the folks back in the US that are very hands-on and every garage has a set of Craftsmen from Sears. Everyone here is all after brand names and want to get the newest toy under the sun. With that said, switching gear here: What is your opinion on SP Air1? Are the parts hard to come by or readily available? I think I've read somewhere that there are no kits for Air1.

What is your opinion on SP Air1? Are the parts hard to come by or readily available? I think I've read somewhere that there are no kits for Air1.

I have a few air1s and 2 converted pilots, which are essentially air1s in a metal case. Those are my favorites. I mostly keep the air1s for their diaphragms, which are no longer available. In terms of other parts, a D400 service kit will provide the necessary poppet and the lever set screw, and the rest is just standard o-rings. I have a supply of assorted parts that awap and I bought a while back, but in general it's not easy to find parts for them.

They are terrific breathing regulators, that's for sure. They can breathe a little wet inverted because the entire diaphragm is also the exhaust valve.

Back
Top Bottom