Suggestions please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lswaters

Reaction score
New Mexico, but my heart is in Minnesota.
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi RMO's. I'm in New Mexico, and this weekend a bunch of us are going to Balmorhea, Tx. Never been there before. I'm also working on Divemaster training, and as part of that I have to supervise a dive for certified divers, which I'm supposed to do this trip. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make such a dive interesting? Both the guys I have to supervise are quite advanced, one is a tech diver. The Balmorhea "lake" is only 25 feet deep. Thanks!

Well, there is a Balmorhea Lake SSE of town - are you sure you're diving the lake? I've never been there, don't know how deep it is.

Many of us have dived the San Solomon Springs State Park natural bottom pool at Toyahvale, 4.3 miles SW of town. You might find a spot 20 ft deep in it, if the spill gate is up high. That I could tell you a good bit about, but don't want to go on here if you're going to dive the Lake.

We have a number of DMs and Insts who will be posting here in the next day or two, so stay tuned for good info. Pretty nice folks.

BTW, I have a couple dozen pics in an album loosely named "Balmorhea Texas State Park" in my Photo Gallery if you do want to get a look at the facility.

Screen05.JPG

Yes, Balmorhea Lake and San Solomon Springs are two different water bodies in the Balmorhea area, with the latter at Toyahvale as indicated on my map in post #2. I think I'll add that map to my album on the site.

Did you look at my pics? It's a 77,053 sq. ft. swimming pool wtih a natural bottom. Well, not exactly natural, but native rock bottom, springs, 2 species of endangered pupfish, irritating Mexican tetras* that have been trained to associate divers with food, a few catfish and turtles. (*Tetras are tiny members of the piranha family, with the same jaw structure, and I had one nip both of my ears during my open water class there 6 yrs ago.) It's been popular with locals since Clovis man first settled the area and was indeed improved by the WPA with mule teams dredging during The Great Depression, adding concrete walks and walls, large bathrooms with warm showers, meeting rooms, etc. There is an on-site motel ran by the state, non-smoking, but no food or beverages likely sold outside of Balmorhea this time of year other than soft drinks from the vending machines.

You can expect the water to be around 70+ F, clear aside from duck droppings, nice windbreaks. There is a small fill station outside the grounds, altho I would call to confirm that they are going to be open: ph 432-375-2572. The parks number is 432-375-2370. NOAA predicts the weather this weekend to be mostly clear, highs in the 60s, lows in the 30s. Should be very pleasant diving, altho a little boring.

Park site. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/balmorhea/

22_1_.jpg

lswaters:
Hi RMO's. I'm in New Mexico, and this weekend a bunch of us are going to Balmorhea, Tx. Never been there before. I'm also working on Divemaster training, and as part of that I have to supervise a dive for certified divers, which I'm supposed to do this trip. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make such a dive interesting? Both the guys I have to supervise are quite advanced, one is a tech diver. The Balmorhea "lake" is only 25 feet deep. Thanks!

Balmorhea is a fun place although smallish.

As far as ideas, you could play follow the leader to control bouyancy and finning technique.

As Don mentioned about the Mexican Tetras, you can "feed" their habit and take some cheese whiz and dispense it in the water. Watch for the feeding frenzy. I know a guy who sprayed it all over his buddies mask. Now THAT was funny!!

Back
Top Bottom