Suggests please, Sun Sabor Hotel not to wifes linking :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We've stayed at the Occidental twice now and looking to book our third stay! Cheap or affordable is a relative term, but in December and Sept, for two was give or take $1200.00 US$. Three meals and alcohol included. Great grounds, great beach, two pools and dive ops on premises.

Wife's happy, I'm happy :)

I highly recommend the Cozumel Palace. I promise... if your wife can be pleased by nice accommodations, you will be her hero.

I personally have a great distaste for the Cozumel Palace. However, that is only because I remember it as the old Plaza Las Glorias where one could stay at for an absolute fraction of the price and allowed all divers (even those not staying on site) to do shore dives from the property. Then Palace Resorts purchased the property, renovated the rooms, put those funky jetted tubs right in the middle of the rooms and went full blown AI charging 4-5x the price per night as an AI.

That being said, the Palace does get good reviews, the service is reported as great, the AI drinks are flowing, the food is edible and it is still close to town. I just can't get beyond the idea that the old Plaza Las Glorias now costs 5x the price with a new in-room jetted tub and booze and food included. I can stay in town at the Casa and eat/drink my way all over San Miguel's best establishments for a fraction of the AI Palace price.

At the end of the day ya got to keep your wife happy 'cause if she ain't happy you're not gonna be happy. If the Palace appeals to her, open up the wallet, book it and be done with it but be sure she has reviewed the various resorts and this is the one she wants.

Stayed at the PLG in Dec 2000 when the start of El Cantil was supposed to be an addition to it. Next thing I read was that Palace Resorts had bought the place & the rest is history. Renovated & opened, Heavily damaged by Hurricane Wilma so re renovated & re opened & costs (in Canadian $) more per week than my 2 week stays at Hotel Cozumel. We have made so many friends who are regulars there in mid winter plus work as staff my wife won't go to Cozumel if it's not to stay there. It's a 3 1/2 star resort but fits our needs perfectly & we have stayed at several other resorts on the island too.

I am not picky at all and was not impressed with Sunscape Sabor when we stayed there, though it was perfectly suitable (Suites Bahia in town was much better, IMO...but not at all luxury). Sabor was low end all inclusive, bare bones.

What about Secrets next door?

I’ve stayed at Sunscape Sabor and found it was a nice place. What I didn’t like was the distance from everything so you had to rent a car if you were leaving the resort. Also while they said they had food for people with medically imposed dietary restrictions, there wasn’t much to select from. Also they sent my luggage to the airport without me. I made enough fuss that they had someone track it down and wait until I arrived. Nice stay otherwise but I won’t be a repeat guest.

Without knowing what she did not like and what she expects, any suggestions are of little value.

Prioritize requirements. Anything essential? Even with all that you may have to give up an essential requirement.

Example: I want walkable sand beach...minimum of one mile in one direction and no more than a ten minute walk to places to eat near the town center.

That is not possible on Cozumel. Which do you give up?

Has your wife been out of the country much? It may be useful to get a sense of what she's comparing it to, from her past experience. Motel 6 vs. Holiday Inn vs. Hilton...

Richard.

Not really a dive question but my wife and I stayed in Cozumel for the first time to dive last month at the Sun Sabor Hotel and my wife will not go back there. Yes divers aren’t supposed to be picky I know but what can a man do, just wasn’t nice enough for her. Does anyone know of some nicer hotels there that won’t break the bank??

Thanks,

Marty

If she doesn't like Sunscape, she most likely will not like Iberostar, Occidental, Allegro or Secrets either. Secrets is in fact the same management - and often people who reserve at Secrets get moved to Sunscape because Secrets is notorious for overbooking.

I would recommend Fiesta Americana, El Presidente, or Cozumel Palace - these are truly the highest quality hotels on the island in all ways.

Does anyone know of some nicer hotels there that won’t break the bank??

An exercise that might prove useful for setting standards and planning; plan and price out a stay at Cozumel Palace. Now, do the same at a more mid-range all-inclusive (or just use your Sun Sabor trip cost). Compare your numbers.

All other things being equal, I imagine we'd all like to fly first class and many would enjoy upscale places. But what if you can take 2 dive trips at a mid-range (or even low end) place, or just 1 at a more upscale? I'm not talking about some roach-infested dive.

The purpose is to put more of an actual 'human cost' price on the added 'luxury' (if that's the issue, as opposed to a one time perception of bad service, etc...), to determine what is (and is not) worth it to you (individually and as a couple).

Richard.

Last edited:
I echo what Christi said, if on a budget - then the Park Royal would def do. Pay for ocean view room. We stay there every year and have no complaints. As long as you go in expecting what it is - 3 star hotel - you won't be disappointed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom