Support my LDS? Really?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suspect that there are too many dive shops. For many owners it's a fun type of business to have, but just because it's fun for the owner doesn't mean there is a balance between supply and demand. Of course once the owner realizes there is not much money in it it isn't fun anymore.

I think lots of small shops will continue to go out of business. But good shops can continue but will need to offer something whether it's training, trips, expertise, service, socialization, etc. that an online store has trouble providing.
The cities or towns that have several dive shops but only enough divers to really support one well will be a good candidate for a house cleaning.

There's a shop way up on the coast north of where I live. It's a very isolated and remote part of the state.
They're perhaps the best dive shop I've ever been in.
They are isolated so you would think that with the wrong person owning the shop they could be as cuthroat and as rude as they want because there is nowhere else to go, but it's the exact opposite.
They are all really melow locals, love to talk about diving, they dive themselves (mostly freedive for abs), they have a great supply of stuff divers really use, and the guy keeps his prices very reasonable like 20 -25% below what the shops in my city charge. The building he's in is payed for (handed down to him by his dad) so he doesn't see a need to rip off divers, who most are not rich anyway.

So If I need something I wait until I go up there to dive and always stop in and spend my money up there. It's about a 2.5 hour drive up to that county. He sells air cards for $40 instead of $60 like here. I will usually gather my gang of tanks when they are all spent and get everything filled up there.
Just to give you an example of what I think is fair.
I have a set of old double 38's with a single outlet. My shop here wants 2 fills because it's two tanks, but both tanks combined are only 76 CF and one outlet.
Up there he charges one fill because it's one outlet and less than an 80. See what I mean, he doesn't see a reason to rip me off and I appreciate that.
I can get a rubber weight belt up there for $19.00 intead of $26 like here. His weights are casted locally by somebody but they are 35% less cost because they look cruder but who cares? it's weight. I bought some turtle fins up there for $79. He has great prices on kayaks. The list goes on.
AND HE'S HAPPY
He thrives in the summer on suit and gear rentals to tourist ab divers. He get's there at 5:00 am and sometimes doesn't close till 8:00 pm. (on the weekends)
He has tons of classes bringing tanks in for fills and he's all smiles.

During Christmas time he's always really slow so I make a list of stuff I need and make a trip up there to make his day.
I'm going to start an annual day during the winter that we all drive up there (my dive club) to visit him and buy stuff.

These thankless turds down here can go suck eggs.

.... Having to charge tax and still have to pay shipping will somewhat level the playing field between brick and mortar and online stores.

I doubt it, most online stores offer free shipping and even if they don't more will. Not to mention you will still come out cheaper online in most cases.

I doubt it, most online stores offer free shipping and even if they don't more will. Not to mention you will still come out cheaper online in most cases.

Wow, is UPS not charging the online retailer for shipping? Shipping is overhead cost and believe me it figured into the cost of products. I love it when people think shipping is free, obviously they have never own their own business and don't understand what overhead is.

I do love my lds. He knows it as well. He is also well aware that I will not be overcharged. I do not figure in sales tax when talking to him. I will pay the extra 6%. He does price matching. He has also flat out told me "that's a great deal and you should order it from xxx. In general, he is a straight shooter and been in business for 30 plus years. He does what he loves and does it right. My original lds (in another state) was not too bad either. There were several in between that we're money whores that never got any of mine.

Obviously shipping is not free nor does it cost $29.99 to ship a two pound package. But the fact remains I can buy gear cheaper on line with free shipping than from my LDS. Fact is a retailer can add shipping to wholesale plus markup, present it to the consumer as free shipping, make money and still sell at lower prices. Please don't try to insult my intelligence. I've worked retail sales for 20 years. You don't need to own your own business to understand basic economics. I love it when people assume to much and make an arse out of them selves.

It's still going to be cheaper to buy online even with added sales tax.
I bought a light from LP and it was $90.00 and free shipping.
That same light at the LDS is $150.00 but I have to drive there.
So even with sales tax online is still a better value.

I really only have one option locally for a LDS - one doesn't carry AL equipment, and the other one is an authorized service center and also participates in the free parts for life warranty program.

However, I'm looking to buy a rig for my son -BC, reg set, octo, computer, SPG, etc. Shops quote was $x, with no knife. I can get the EXACT same setup online with the knife for $X delivered to my door, rigged and ready to go, from an authorized online AL dealer. I don't mind paying 5-10% more to keep the money local, but 25%?? I have a call into them - said (very nicely) I can order this online for $X, or I can order it from a shop I dive with in Florida for $X, including shipping and a knife in both cases. If you can drop down to $X out the door (more than both of the others by a minimum of $70), I will order from you to keep it local.

My other pet peeve with some charters and LDS's, and in general ANY store with a website or online presence - you know guys, its 2012 and a very digital age. If you can't check your email more than every two weeks, don't list it as a contact option!

---------- Post Merged at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:03 AM ----------

I just heard back from my LDS and I'm still confused as to what she is quoting me as to final price, but she said something I am leery about. She said that if we order AL equipment through Divers Direct, then I would have to send back to them for warranty repair.

Last edited:
Another update from my LDS, and as of now this IS my LDS. She explained the warranty issue - it's a non issue now, and as long as I have a receipt from an authorized dealer, we're good. She actually BEAT the best online pricing I was getting, so again, no issue there. She was professional and courteous and made sure the other people in the shop knew the details since she won't be there Saturday when I go in to sign over my paycheck :D

I think the big problem is the old dive business model was to buy products as a middleman and mark them up to make your profit. However, the internet has changed the game. Buyers have become very tech savvy and know how to use amazon, leisurepro etc.. to price check. The real problem is the LDS isn't just a few dollars more.. it's almost always substantial. When I bought my BCD it was $680 at my LDS and $320 online with no taxes. That's more than double for the exact same product, so you know which way I went. I want to support my local LDS, but I have to take care of my own finances first.

Personally, I don't see how the LDS can ever compete again. The internet is too powerful. It's sad in a ways, because it makes it very hard to own a dive shop when all you can sell are classes and trips. I'm willing to bet in the near future that most dive shop owners will likely own their shop as a part time venture.. making it more of a hobby than a career.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom