surprise physical

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You probably need to consider changing your doctor, your insurer, or your certifying agency. In fact, I'd be looking to change all 3. I didn't start certification training until my late 40s and have never had to have a physical for any certification classes.

You will not be required to undergo a stress test before Fundies, unless you have a medical condition that warrants it.

It's not a BAD idea to have it done before doing something which puts you at risk; cardiac deaths account for a rather sad number of diving fatalities. It sounds as though your insurance may well pay for this, if you can wait long enough for it to get cleared, right? But your class is already scheduled. Can you postpone the class a couple of weeks?

Will I have to do this again to take stress and rescue and fundies? How often do insurance companies pay for these types of tests just so we can dive?

Would be a REAL drag if your primary care doc put you through this every time from now on! I would seriously consider changing docs then. I would doubt he would require it if you cleared the test this time, unless he had a specified concern due to history or findings. Btw, the form/check up should be good for a year at a time, it should be kept on file and just resigned again for courses during that period without any big fuss or even an appointment. I would think insurance company would give grief for constant testing unless there was medical reason for it too. Most would.

I have never had to do the stress test and I have to check YES on the forms now. My doc just does annual check up but I do not have any cardiovasc issues (well other than I would have been in lousy shape last year after not being able to exercise...) I am changing primary care doc to dive expert and will see whether he has harder line but I sure won't stick to anyone who is unreasonable.

Then again I do not think it is unreasonable to do this once when you are 56. Bad timing of course, so hope it works out for you. Just don't assume it's normal to need it for every course and reuse the form as many times as you can.

Before being approved to scuba dive, individuals older than 40 years are recommended to undergo risk assessment for coronary artery disease.
Thanks, Carrie. I'd missed that part. My bad.

Well I finally did it, I signed up for my aow. Actually I only need to do two dives with an instructor to document it since I have already met all the requirements. My intent is just to get the card so I can do some boat dives later this year (If the oil slick doesn't ruin my plans). The class I am really looking forward to hopefully later this year is fundies.

I downloaded the standard SSI medical form and took it to my family doctor thinking he would sign it and that would be that. We have discussed diving on several occassions and I have tried to persuade him to go with me. He said he would have to give me a physical since it has been two years since I have had one. OK, not a big deal. I am in good health and see no problems. The form referenced the"guidelines for recreational scuba divers physical examination" so his office downloaded it from the internet.

After he did his part of the physical he told me he was setting up a stress test at the hospital because the form required it for anyone over 40. Again I said OK because it shouldn't be a problem. The class is this weekend so I called the hospital to schedule the test. when they found out I am a carpenter and have CMR insurance they said they have to get preapproval and CMR is very slow at getting back to them. They don't know if they can do it this week. I thought OK I will just pay for it and be done with it. NOW COMES THE RUB, the test is well over a thousand dollars. If my insurance refuses to pay for it my dive training is done because I could never convince my wife to fork over that much money every time I want to take a class(in addition to the cost of the class and my ongoing addiction to buying new gear).

My question is this; is this normal and does everyone over 40 have to have a stress test everytime they take a class with other agencies? Will I have to do this again to take stress and rescue and fundies? How often do insurance companies pay for these types of tests just so we can dive? Has anyone else had to deal with this or am I the first? By the way my doctor told me he knew I would not have any problem passing the physical but had to do it because the form he had to sign required it. I am a young 56 years old.

Do they really care, is it strictly liabilaty or just another facet of the scuba money grab?

Unfortunately, most physicians are completely clueless about the physics/physiology of scuba and so over-react when they see anything that requires them to think outside their usual frame of reference. Obviously, your physician is no exception.

It sounds like you are talking about the standard scuba medical form. Usually there are guidelines on it for risks/counterindications. And unless you have contraindications per those guidelines, your physician shouldn't need to do anything other than sign the form.

Go over the form with him & find out why he thinks you need a stress test. If he doesn't give you the answer you need, go elsewhere.

FYI, I am not a healthcare professional, nor do I play one on TV. I also didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn last night. :wink:

Thanks for the responses everyone. When I first found out I had to have a stress test I was a little offended. Being a carpenter I am fairly active at work, have not smoked in 38 years and have perfect blood pressure. I have no history of heart disease nor have ever even been in the hospital. But as it has been pointed out I guess that does not mean something could not be lurking in the shadows. My doctor is very conservative, does not over prescribe and tends to err on the side of caution. He is probably just trying to avoid liability because of the way the documents are worded. I should find out tomorrow if my insurance will pay for the test. If they do it will all be good no matter how the test goes (although I really expect no problems). I have been scheduled (a cancellation came up) for friday just in case the insurance does go for it. I'll post more after that to update everyone. It is good to know Fundies does not require all this. At least I can plan for that class. I do have a contingent plan in case the insurance is a no go. It is just local waters deep enough to do the AOW in are rather limited.

Thanks again everyone

Worse case, Leave SSI and sign up for the PADI AOW. That sounds quite ridiculous if you ask me to have a stress test done unless it was medically necessary do to an injury or surgery. Little things like that can ruin anyone experince and it's aggrivating that they want to make people jump through all these hoop's.

Worse case, Leave SSI and sign up for the PADI AOW. That sounds quite ridiculous if you ask me to have a stress test done unless it was medically necessary do to an injury or surgery. Little things like that can ruin anyone experince and it's aggrivating that they want to make people jump through all these hoop's.

...or sign up for yoga classes :rofl3:

A year ago, I was denied a dive because I was over 45 and didn't have a current medical form. Now I get a physical every year and carry the papers with me just incase.

The last physical I had was not with my normal doctor, who is a diver. The new doctor made me do a stress test and blood tests. She was very anal about following the list to the T. She even did a chest X-ray. What I thought would be a walk in sign off turned into a 2 hour doctor visit.

A year ago, I was denied a dive because I was over 45 and didn't have a current medical form. Now I get a physical every year and carry the papers with me just incase.

The last physical I had was not with my normal doctor, who is a diver. The new doctor made me do a stress test and blood tests. She was very anal about following the list to the T. She even did a chest X-ray. What I thought would be a walk in sign off turned into a 2 hour doctor visit.

I've started doing the same thing carrying the signed form with me. My doc just signs it. I go for regular checkups twice yearly, blood tests, the works. He knows my condition. Last time he signed one he almost forgot to even take my blood pressure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom