surprise physical

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gbray

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well I finally did it, I signed up for my aow. Actually I only need to do two dives with an instructor to document it since I have already met all the requirements. My intent is just to get the card so I can do some boat dives later this year (If the oil slick doesn't ruin my plans). The class I am really looking forward to hopefully later this year is fundies.

I downloaded the standard SSI medical form and took it to my family doctor thinking he would sign it and that would be that. We have discussed diving on several occassions and I have tried to persuade him to go with me. He said he would have to give me a physical since it has been two years since I have had one. OK, not a big deal. I am in good health and see no problems. The form referenced the"guidelines for recreational scuba divers physical examination" so his office downloaded it from the internet.

After he did his part of the physical he told me he was setting up a stress test at the hospital because the form required it for anyone over 40. Again I said OK because it shouldn't be a problem. The class is this weekend so I called the hospital to schedule the test. when they found out I am a carpenter and have CMR insurance they said they have to get preapproval and CMR is very slow at getting back to them. They don't know if they can do it this week. I thought OK I will just pay for it and be done with it. NOW COMES THE RUB, the test is well over a thousand dollars. If my insurance refuses to pay for it my dive training is done because I could never convince my wife to fork over that much money every time I want to take a class(in addition to the cost of the class and my ongoing addiction to buying new gear).

My question is this; is this normal and does everyone over 40 have to have a stress test everytime they take a class with other agencies? Will I have to do this again to take stress and rescue and fundies? How often do insurance companies pay for these types of tests just so we can dive? Has anyone else had to deal with this or am I the first? By the way my doctor told me he knew I would not have any problem passing the physical but had to do it because the form he had to sign required it. I am a young 56 years old.

Do they really care, is it strictly liabilaty or just another facet of the scuba money grab?

I'm old (>50) and have had a few PADI med forms done by my physician, but I've never needed any stress test. I don't know about SSI requirements.

None of the PADI rec. courses require a physician's signature on the form unless you check "yes" to any of the items (ei. Have you ever had an operation?, Do you smoke?, etc.). For Divemaster you need the form signed by your physician, who doesn't even have to have experience with scuba related injuries. There are no stress tests or costs (in Canada, anyway). Wow, $1,000.....

Start complaining of chest pain.

Start complaining of chest pain.:rofl3:

Seriously it is not a bad idea, undiagnosed medical conditions are often sited in diver deaths. I had to have triple bypass at age 54 none of my friends could believe because I was a life long runner, non smoker, no body fat, no high BP, you never know.

Do you have one or more risk factors for heart disease?
Take this quick questionnaire on the American Heart Association's website to assess your risk.

A simple solution would be to find a PADI-affiliated shop and sign up for the AOW course. As others have already mentioned, no exercise stress test is required provided that you answer "No" to every item on the health form.

That's a new one on me ... I started diving at age 49, and have taken well in excess of 30 classes since then. I had to have a thorough physical exam before starting my DM training, but nothing that would've cost $1,000.

Sounds fishy ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I took SSI Divecon training last year. A physical is mandatory to take the class, regardless of age. I was 45 last year and did not have to have a stress test.
There is nothing on the form that makes a stress test mandatory due to age. What did you answer Yes to on the Medical History form? I would guess that you have or have had a medical problem in the past that the doctor is basing his recommendation for this test.

Last edited:
...setting up a stress test at the hospital because the form required it for anyone over 40...
Since SSI is a member of the WRSTC, this:
http://www.wrstc.com/downloads/RSTCMedStatementGeneric.pdf
is probably the form your doctor's office downloaded.
Part of it says:
Formalized stress testing is encouraged if there is any doubt regarding physical performance capability.
That's a bit shy of "required", and not tied to age 40, but could be what your physician is referring to.

ah...I didn't look at the Guidelines for Physical Exam, but here is the whole paragraph that actually recommends stress testing for divers over 40.

CARDIOVASCULAR SYSTEMS
Relative Risk Conditions: The diagnoses listed below potentially render the diver unable to meet the exertional performance requirements likely to
be encountered in recreational diving. These conditions may lead the diver to experience cardiac ischemia and its consequences. Formalized stress testing is
encouraged if there is any doubt regarding physical performance capability. The suggested minimum criteria for stress testing in such cases is 13 METS.*
Failure to meet the exercise criteria would be of significant concern. Conditioning and retesting may make later qualification possible. Immersion in water
causes a redistribution of blood from the periphery into the central compartment, an effect that is greatest in cold water. The marked increase in cardiac
preload during immersion can precipitate pulmonary edema in patients with impaired left ventricular function or significant valvular disease. The effects
of immersion can mostly be gauged by an assessment of the diver’s performance while swimming on the surface. A large proportion of scuba diving deaths
in North America are due to coronary artery disease. Before being approved to scuba dive, individuals older than 40 years are recommended to undergo
risk assessment for coronary artery disease. Formal exercise testing may be needed to assess the risk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom