Suunto Cobra 3, worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaru_Steve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I've been diving for about 2 years now. Have a good hand full of dives under my belt and this past weekend took my Advanced Open Water cert with Enriched air.

Now I've acquired a good deal of gear both new and used and finally have enough besides wet suits that I am satisfied. However the dive computer I came across last year just doesn't seem to cut it anymore. It was a used item the dive shop had on hand and gave me for a good deal. It didn't have a manual so I had to call Suunto I believe it was about getting one and come to find its well over 10 years old. It functions but its interface is very hard to understand, it is NOT Nitrox compatible, you need bare fingers to make the buttons work, it only reads PSI, depth, and temperature.

Well on my 2 dives with Nitrox my instructor brought along his Suunto Cobra 3 :shocked2:

The computer just in the water was amazing. The easy to read interface, the adjustability before the dive. So many features readily at my finger tips. Probably one of the best features I had noticed was it tracks your breathing rate and adjusts your estimated air time so you know how much you are using based on your breathing rate. Absolutely amazed computers are at this level.

We go back to the dive shop and he plugs it in to load the dive, once again the ability to see each second of the dive and relate what we were doing with a minute by minute graph of depth, temp, breathing rate, Nitrogen levels....just so much information. Needless to say I was sold on it... Till I saw the price. Granted it is a high end computer. The price isn't something I can't afford, but the dive shop quoted the computer, quick disconnect ($80 feature) and the $100 data cable at around $870.

So are the benefits of the Suunto Cobra 3 really worth the cost? I found so much that I was capable of doing and it was only on 2 dives. I imagine with enough time to practice with it and learn to use it there could be even more benefits I find. So what have people who are familiar with this computer and others like it think.

I bought this computer, partly because my OW and AOW instructor had one and I was able to see it in action. I also wanted air integrated with a hose connection. I was aware that Suunto is considered "conservative" but that works for me as I want to be as careful as I can.

I have less than 20 dives on my Cobra 3 but it has been flawless. I suspect they could make the interface a bit more user friendly but once you are accustomed to the interface, it gets easier. I absolutely love the PC interface, automatic logging, dive profile, and air usage information.

I, too, own a Cobra 3 and love it. If you can, stick with Dive Manager 3.1 for your downloads, the DM4 they just released it totally useless unless you want to upload your dives to the web to review. As Chill Diver stated, it's a bit awkward getting around until you get used to it, but after you get used to it, it's easy. Very easy to read under various conditions, with all the info you need right there.

not a bad computer but i hate the electronic compass, i have 2 of these and 2 nemo air computers by mares the nemo is cheaper comes standard with a qd and is an analog compass i perfer.

..... I imagine with enough time to practice with it and learn to use it there could be even more benefits I find. ......
We can help you with this in 2 ways:

a) Take the Cobra 3 online class (also available with the new DCT iPhone App)

b) Use the eDiving scuba diving simulator and equip your avatar with the Cobra 3, then take it for as many virtual dives as you want. You can even do crazy stuff such as ascending very fast or going in deep deco ... I promise, You will not get hurt (but your virtual diver might die :shocked2:)

BTW, I think the Cobra 3 compass is quite good.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

However the dive computer I came across last year just doesn't seem to cut it anymore. It was a used item the dive shop had on hand and gave me for a good deal. It didn't have a manual so I had to call Suunto I believe it was about getting one and come to find its well over 10 years old. It functions but its interface is very hard to understand, it is NOT Nitrox compatible, you need bare fingers to make the buttons work, it only reads PSI, depth, and temperature. .

What is the name of this old computer? It sounds like what I want, if it is actually a computer.

I've done nearly 100 dives with the Cobra 3 with zero problems underwater.
I've got it for 750$, quick release and computer interface included. If you buy this computer without the computer interface, might as well buy something less expensive like the mares puck. I use MACDIVE as the interface instead of Suunto on my MacBookPro.
I need reading glasses to read the newspaper still, readability is great compared with the Suunto D9, but the great backlight is not the most impressive I,ve seen. Crystal liquid is getting obsolete over OLED displays nowadays.
This is a good and reliable computer. It provides air consumption, tank pressure info. 'Deepstop' is an extra security when diving up from the deep spots, it suggests you to stop for a min or two and won't penalize the diving if he ignores this feature.
The compass is improved over Cobra1 & 2, you can use it pointing up @ 45 degree angle without an potential errors.

Negative points:
Compass mode won't remain on for an extended period of time, so for serious orientation, I use my Suunto compass SK7.
The computer interface is not working efficiently, it can take from a few seconds to a few minutes to get into the interface mode.
The plastic glass on top gets scratched up easily and makes the computer harder to read when just out of the water.
Menu logics are pretty straight forward but can be a hassle to get aquainted for those not familiar with Suunto dive computers.

Missing feature that would make this computer most wanted ? Trimix - OLED display - Safety stop displayed in seconds (not minutes)

Dude! Me and my wife have had Cobras for 6 years. Both have over 150 dives on them. Good instrument. No complaints. Always worked and very handy for planning next dive and such. I want the Cobra 3 myself. One of the kids has a Vyper and it is still working. Got new batteries in them all last year. No sweat. I like mine. If you keep it clipped to something and not dragging on the bottom, the glass will not get scratched. Rinse it good. Never used the interface. When I dive, for the last part of the dive, I just hold it in my hand and I can glance at it often. Makes me feel safe. Also good for ascending. Has that neat little ascent doody on the right side. I did a deco dive once a few years back -accidently of course, stayed down too long trying to find the anchor in a strong current. I don't remember the circumstances. At first I couldn't figure out the screen. I finally realized it had gone into deco and was telling me to stop at different depths along the anchor line. I did what it told me and everything was fine. Thank goodness. Real nice instrument. Kevin

Well I actually went out and bought this computer the day before my trip to Myrtle Beach, SC. Sure I dove with it already but that was my instructors and I only used it for basic function.

Used it on 2 dives and my god there is so much awesome in the palm of my hand! :shocked2:

I must say I love it. Plugged it into my computer and had complete logs of my dives with every temp change, psi change, etc.

Thanks for some of the persuasion guys!

Sounds to me like you never needed much persuasion in the first place.

So now, 4 years down the road, are you still happy with your Cobra3?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom