Suunto D4 self reset after dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eran_coh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Two hours after the last dive in a series of few dives, I noticed that the time and date on my Suunto D4 have changed.
The D4 also seems to have cleared the residual nitrogen time and cleared the no fly time.
The logged dives and the dive history were not deleted, however.
Battery check is OK (I had the D4 for 145 dives & 128 hours of dive time)

Has anyone seen this issue with a suunto computer?

What were the air and water temps? I've had a Suunto reset when the battery was marginal. It was fine above the surface. It was only after the battery had cooled down to water temperatures that it could no longer generate quite enough power. One test you can try at home is to put your computer in the fridge for a few hours, and then try turning it on and switching to dive mode and seeing if the thing comes on, has reset, or shows a low battery warning.

PS. You might want to check you manual. I have a vague memory the the nominal battery life of at least some Suuntos is 100 hours dive time. Let us know if you find any hard information.

I dove the red-sea where water temp was about 24 C
I checked the manual and it seems that it is time to change the battery.
Thanks.

Yes... many times. First on my girlfriends D4, then on mine, then on a bunch of people I've worked with D4s. I work as an instructor and my D4 was fine for about a year before it started to reset. Sooner or later D4s will reset ALL the time, often mid-dive. I had to buy another computer because my D4 was really not reliable or safe and I was working in SE Asia where I couldn't get it serviced and returned easily. It seems that after sending it back to Suunto the problem is resolved... maybe. Send it straight back to Suunto, don't rely upon it.

thats scary, exactly why I wear a backup

Thanks for the info, sounds scary.
On my D4 I have replaced the battery and had few dives with it without a problem. I hope it will not reset again

Hi,
May I know till today do you still encouter "reset" problem on your Suunto D4?
I faced the same problem and it is very shocked to me and frustrated when my Suunto D4 was suddently "blank display" reset to its original manufacture date during my dive. I have my D4 for ~2 years with ~60 logs. Start encounter this problem recently. I am yet to replace the battery. Btw, I am from SE Asia as well, do not wish to send back to Finland, such a far away.

Hi

I faced the same issue too. My dive comp went blank and reset to it's original manufacture date, and happened twice. Do I need to send it back to the factory? I wonder is it a factory fault.

riangguy, have you managed to replace the battery? So issue so far?

Hello,

I encountered the same thing very recently. I got my D4 from Malaysia around 1.5years ago but I rarely use it. Battery check shows OK. I have 21 logged dives prior to my dives last Friday, 24 Feb. After my ascent from the 1st dive, I noticed that the time and date was wrong. It was showing 15.04.07, 12:48pm. It was also not showing the information from my 1st dive (no NO FLY signal, no Surf time, etc) although the last dive was logged. However, I also discovered that some of my logs are missing. While my Scuba History is showing a total of 23 dives, the logbook is only detailing the last 5 dives I did. (2 from Friday, and 3 from Dec 2010). My earlier 18 dives disappeared! :(

Haven't corrected the date and time setting. Planning to inquire with Suunto and hopefully they can advise how to recover the missing data.

I encountered the same problem with my D4. I decided to change the battery myself. While I was changing the battery I realised the battery terminal contacts appeared flat. Using a small screw driver I bent the contacts up a bit. Did the same with the contacts at the buttons. Then gently stretched the spring contacts that touch the back cover. Pretty much everything that can be stretched or bent up do it. My watch has never reset again after 4 years of doing this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom