Suunto depth sensor failures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our LDS had the AquaLung/Suunto rep in the store this week. The rep stated that Suunto had found a defect in the depth sensor membrane construct. Suunto is claiming that computers used in chlorine/bromine environments will deteriorate the membrane and cause the depth sensor to fail. The rep stated that any Suunto computers that fail will be repaired free of charge if they are less than 5 years old. My personal experience is with a Suunto Cobra. I have had this unit fail 3 times. The last time it failed was in June of this year (2011). I originally purchased the Cobra in May of 2005. Suunto advised that my computer was out of warranty but still replaced the unit. The problem has manifest itself on numerous computers of divers that I associate with, some of them have never had them in a pool. To me this is as close to an acknowledgement of defective workmanship from Suunto as I have seen. I would like them to allow any failure of this type to be repaired free, regardless of the age of the computer. It has definitely made me reconsider whom I will be purchasing my next computer from.

I was given a $100 discount also and then my dive shop kept all the new exterior parts for my Cobra. I like the part about Chlorine causing the problem, pass the buck for a crappy product instead of fixing it. I have purchased my last Suunto/Aqua lung product. Both my wife's and my Cobras had the same problems, less than 100 dives, kept clean after each dive and they blame us. Funny its a known problem that they won't fix, wonder why we keep buying a inferior product? Underwater Phantaseas in Greenwood Village, Colorado isn't a whole lot better when they rip you off either. Yea, I called and complained and they said they would give me the rest of the parts that came with the Cobra, but haven't gone in to argue with them AGAIN. Lets not purchase anymore Suunto crap, that is all they will listen to.

An update from my original post years ago. I susequently went ovet to oceanics vt3 after my dissapointing experience with suunto, i must say it has been happily chunging along in the atlantic not sure if oceanic has had similar issues but this one i am relativly happy with. The only issue i have with the vt3 is i have some difficulty with reading the screen on my wrist, attaching the vt3 to a retactor my be best option. Itt would have been nice if suunto would have given me a repair option

+1 on the depth sensor failure. It has happened twice in the last 10 dives. First time I sent it in and the tech said there was nothing wrong with it. There really needs to be an advisory on these thingsso at least it's flagged at the repair shop rather than getting sent back to a customer.

I definitely will consider switching vendors on my next dive computer but I did love my cobra while it lasted.

FYI, my cobra was purchased in may of 2005.

I just recently had a failure on my HelO2. I got it just as they came out on the market. I was conducting some OW dives with students. On the last dive of the day (3rd dive) for that class, I was preparing to put my data into my log book when I looked & the computer registered a max depth of 472 ft:shocked2:. Thank goodness I had my Shearwater Predator as a back- up. The area of the quarry I had my students in gets no deeper than 25 ft & the max depth of the quarry itself is about 120 ft. I sent the computer back in to Aqualung & they were very quick to send me a new on back.

On a humorous note, I would sure love to find that hole in the quarry again,... but the narcosis was so bad I couldn't remember where it was!:D

My Suunto D6's depth sensor had problem after, 7 years, 150 dives. Local dealer told me, mechanism should be changed for 350 Euros.

I won't fix it, and I will keep it as an experience. And I will tell people not to buy Suunto. That is what I can do now.

My Suunto D6's depth sensor had problem after, 7 years, 150 dives. Local dealer told me, mechanism should be changed for 350 Euros.

I won't fix it, and I will keep it as an experience. And I will tell people not to buy Suunto. That is what I can do now.

350 Euros is a lot! I'm sure Sunnto could set up a repair place in China to have warranty repairs fixed at cost, not cost + a lot + incentive to buy another. The marketing people just dont want anything fixed. If there are rich people, google PCB and reverse engineering in China. Then post the findings in multiple places. Sunntos competitors are lazy - this is begging to be outed.

The future will be an iPhone app with a depth sensor in a double sealed plastic case; if they dont figure out how to deliver the quality expected.

I recently was told by Suunto through my LDS that my cobra was no longer under the warranty coverage and if i wanted to upgrade to a newer computer i could get $100.00 credit against full retail price. I would like to know how many other people have had this issue with the depth sensor. The unit had less than 70 dives and was rinsed out in fresh water after every dive prior to this failure. Never the less, If there is a SUUNTO MANUFACTURING Rep reading this, note....this disappointing customer service response from Suunto has definitely turned me off from purchasing any other Suunto products.

I don't have numbers but this failure is quite common and has plagued Suunto for a number of years. They'll replace a computer with a faulty sensor if it's still under warranty but after that you're SOL.

R..

i'm encounter sensor error for my zoop suunto . i bought 3 zoop suunto for my dive centre 4 years ago. suddenly all of them at the same time have sensor problem. may i know what the cost to repairt the sensor?
thanks

From what I understand, if the pressure sensor is the problem then there is no fix. If the computers are no longer under warranty then you'll end up having to replace them. The shop where I work has Mares pucks. For students they're easy to read and use. I personally like them better than the Zoop for training.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom