SUUNTO Macintosh Support Dive Manager

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wheezy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok ... all you Macintosh users out there. Lets get SUUNTO to make us a dive manager for the Mac.

I'm soooo sick of having to use this antiquated box they call a PC to use my dive manager software.

Send an email to

softwarehelpdesk@suunto.com

Tell em to get off their butts and port that software over to the MAC

I've sent about a hundred emails to get my point across....

As much as I dislike Mac's, I did it just to help out a fellow SB'r

That's what I'm talkin about right there.... even if you use a PC... help a brother out.

:scubadive

WJL:
I sent them an email, and offered to do the port myself.

Bill, what would it take to do the port? I've found some stuff online that showed how the software talks with the computer and code that does it.

I forget what the called it though? It was on one of the "homemade" interface cable sites.

Suunto responded to me and basically said I could run Virtual PC (which never seems to run any of the apps I need it to) and that he has ONE customer that succesfully pulled it off with version 1.4 of DM and a bunch of other specifics about OS and drivers and what not. Bunch of fooey I say.

So how hard would it be to actually port the software over.

wheezy:
Bill, what would it take to do the port? I've found some stuff online that showed how the software talks with the computer and code that does it.

I forget what the called it though? It was on one of the "homemade" interface cable sites.

Suunto responded to me and basically said I could run Virtual PC (which never seems to run any of the apps I need it to) and that he has ONE customer that succesfully pulled it off with version 1.4 of DM and a bunch of other specifics about OS and drivers and what not. Bunch of fooey I say.

So how hard would it be to actually port the software over.

Suunto told me the same thing - use Virtual PC, which I don't have and won't buy.

To do an actual port, I would like to see the source code, which I hope would be in some language I can deal with, like C++ or Basic. The chances of that happening are essentiallly nil.

If we knew the file format for the data the computer transmits when it downloads to a PC, we could probably write an application from scratch to read it and process it. That would be a serious project for a hobbyist programmer like me, but it could be interesting.

wheezy:
Ok ... all you Macintosh users out there. Lets get SUUNTO to make us a dive manager for the Mac.

I'm soooo sick of having to use this antiquated box they call a PC to use my dive manager software.

Send an email to

softwarehelpdesk@suunto.com

Tell em to get off their butts and port that software over to the MAC

I've sent about a hundred emails to get my point across....

:multi: I sent them the message! I do use the latest version of their software (Dive Manager) on my Mac with Virtual PC 6 and Jamie's interface. It works, however would rather have one that was pure Mac! :admin: :multi:

...As I sit here on my antiquated PC writing an email to Suunto begging them to add more features to the PC version instead of watering down their programming by working on a version for consistantly slower and more expensive bubblegum box MACs.

Ya, my $12,000 FCP4 HighDefinition system is definitely slower than, well, nothing actually. Let's see, that Avid Nitris/ Composer system is pretty fast as well... I guess it should be for close to $250,000 for the basic setup.

I'll stick with Mac's. They've made me a "few" dollars over the years. Albeit, the iMac's and eMac's and fluorescent orange whatever Mac's and all that junk is exactly that...JUNK.. but you just can't compare them in the real digital media workplace. They are MUCH faster PER DOLLAR for these applications... PERIOD.

Back to the point at hand.... if Microsoft can make products (better products than they make for a PC) for the Mac, then surely so can Suunto.

I really don't think it would take much at all.

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom