Suunto SK7 or Dive Gear Express Tech Compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think there is any compass that is as good as the SK7, or the SK6 (no longer avaiable in the US) for that matter. With a little care SK7 will last a very long time, cannot say the same about most others. You get what you pay for.

I don't think there is any compass that is as good as the SK7, or the SK6 (no longer avaiable in the US) for that matter. With a little care SK7 will last a very long time, cannot say the same about most others. You get what you pay for.

Yah, I have heard nothing but good things about the SK7 but if I would have never tried less expensive Reg's, like the Hogs, I would have never found out that they are as good if not better that the big brand names. Just sayin, sometimes money and brand aren't everything, and if I can save on some equipment and not sacrifice quality or performance, I am all for it.

Knowing DGE's standing behind their gear, I guess I'd be willing to give it a try....... yes, I'd go for the "Tech" model over the "basic".....

The big advantage of the SK7 is the tilt feature. I do not think the DGE has that or they would have mentioned it. It looks to be a std. Pelagic compass in the DSS mount. If you want an SK7 watch flea-bay as you can often score a used one for under $50.

I actually went through this debate myself last year and even though you can find thousands of stellar reviews for the SK7 I opted for the slimmer profile of the DGE Tech. I had a chance to try on a SK7 before ordering and it stood a little taller than I cared for. The DGE Tech is quite a bit smaller than the SK7 and while you may not have as much of the tilt feature that the SK7 has, I have yet to have the card stick. I'm happy with it's performance so far.

I've had my SK-7 in the DSS mount for over 6 years now but have recently been frustrated with its performance. This winter (< 40 F water temperatures) I'm noting that the needle is either sticking or so slow in movement that it difficult to useless. I tried to test it out by putting it in the freezer for a few hours and then trying it out but it seems fine. The fluid does not freeze but perhaps thickens?

Back
Top Bottom