Suunto SK7 or Dive Gear Express Tech Compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I own both, I prefer the SK7 as its more forgiving as to what angle, +/- 30 degrees, it is at, the Express tech needle will often stick if not held almost perfectly horizontal. If I were you I'd pay the extra and buy the SK7.

If navigation is actually an important part of your diving, i.e., you use the compass a lot to navigate or learn a site (ie, navigating multiple bearings around an area to reach specific things, including your return to a specific starting point), then the SK 7 just has no equal, whether you wrist mount in the DSS bungie (my way) or use it on a retractor, or hand-hold it. and I think you might be able to put it in a console (not sure about that, though). Big numbers, big side window, smooth and good damping, well-marked bezel, can be used at a tilt, no need for hyper-precise holding techniques. It makes navigating a pleasure.

If a compass is not something you use much, or just for an occasional glance for a very general bearing or direction (ie, "towards shore" "away from shore" etc), then you can go cheap, why not?

I care nothing about "high profile" versus "low profile" in a compass. You are talking 1/2" difference, overall height of the SK-7 is the same or less than my computer. The SK-7's so-called high profile allows it to have probably the biggest and best side view window available.

If 1/2" of "profile" is going to matter, it would be inside a tight wreck and using lines, and then I have no need for a compass anyway and it would be in my pockets.

As for cost, Northeast Scuba had the SK-7 WITH the DSS mount and bungie included for around $70.00. I lost mine and had to replace it. Best deal anywhere and I had it in two days. My first purchase from them, but it won't be my last, and I live in Florida!

That's a great price for the SK7.

Do you happen to have a link? I went to Boston Scuba | Northeast Scuba | 978-256-2300 and under the "equipment" heading they just list manufacturers. I can't find a way to actually buy anything. Or did you have to call?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom