Suunto Vyper - Factory Reset??? or maybe just memory delete.... anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The reset software is pretty basic... I needed to figure out that ya have to switch the Vyper into TR - PC mode, as if you were downloading the logbook... It appears that it was successful. The logbook and memory / history are completely clean, BUT although I used the Factory Reset option, it did NOT complete a Time and Date wipe... I don't think these would come from the factory set to the current time and date... I expected to find a date of February 17, 1998... Sooooo, I'm not sure IF it did a true factory reset... I actually did both my Vypers, which are exact twins... one's mine... one's my daughter's... I look forward to downloading the logs when we return....

I guess my biggest concern is that although everything appears well (to the naked, untrained eye), I hope it doesn't put me into DECO after 15 minutes at 28 ft..... I took a leap of faith that it wouldn't damage any internal software or mess with the alogorithms....

I go to Grand Cayman in two weeks for ten days and 12 dives... we'll let you know when we get back how it REALLY went... if not, you can send flowers to the Hyperbaric Chamber in Georgetown....

Now I need to set the Suunto software up properly to recognize both computers, each with a different user profile...

Divers Alert Network

I think you have to send it back to Suunto to get it completly reset.

The reset software is pretty basic... I needed to figure out that ya have to switch the Vyper into TR - PC mode, as if you were downloading the logbook... It appears that it was successful. The logbook and memory / history are completely clean, BUT although I used the Factory Reset option, it did NOT complete a Time and Date wipe... I don't think these would come from the factory set to the current time and date... I expected to find a date of February 17, 1998... Sooooo, I'm not sure IF it did a true factory reset... I actually did both my Vypers, which are exact twins... one's mine... one's my daughter's... I look forward to downloading the logs when we return....

I guess my biggest concern is that although everything appears well (to the naked, untrained eye), I hope it doesn't put me into DECO after 15 minutes at 28 ft..... I took a leap of faith that it wouldn't damage any internal software or mess with the alogorithms....

I go to Grand Cayman in two weeks for ten days and 12 dives... we'll let you know when we get back how it REALLY went... if not, you can send flowers to the Hyperbaric Chamber in Georgetown....

Now I need to set the Suunto software up properly to recognize both computers, each with a different user profile...

Divers Alert Network

The obvious answer is that the date is kept in a separate register from the dive´s register, so the program erases the latter ones only. Ýou're gonna be OK in your trip. Don´t worry.. be happy.

Does anyone know if the battery compartment of the Vyper is isolated from the guts of the computer.... my friend boasts that his new Uwatec Luna has a battery compartment absolutely separate from the internal workings of the unit.... I started to argue that most manufacturers figured THAT out a long time ago and even if you flood your battery compartment, a good rinse and dry and you should be 100% ok....

Does anyone know if the battery compartment of the Vyper is isolated from the guts of the computer.... my friend boasts that his new Uwatec Luna has a battery compartment absolutely separate from the internal workings of the unit.... I started to argue that most manufacturers figured THAT out a long time ago and even if you flood your battery compartment, a good rinse and dry and you should be 100% ok....

I really doubt that even having a totally separate battery compartment will save any electronic equipment that leaks during the dive unless you quickly spot that you have a problem and are able to get the battery out immediately (within minutes).
The damage comes from the electrolysis of the sea water by the battery.
I've seen various pieces of battery powered equipment after leaks and normally at least one of the terminals will be so damaged that it will become unusable even after a good cleaning. I had a dive light that leaked at depth and even though I dumped the batteries as soon as I saw the light dim I was never able to restore the terminals to a reliable condition. My son had a reserve dive light totally explode while it was in his BC pocket. There was nothing left to restore.
Even though dive computer batteries hold a lot less energy than those of cameras or dive-lights you'll still get quite a lot of corrosion or a worst an exploded battery.
Before worrying about isolation of the battery compartment from the other parts I'd be more concerned about the basic reliability of the battery compartment seal. There are a lot of Vypers out there and I personally never came across anyone that had experienced seal failure. I have 2 and they're both on their 3rd batteries.

I think you have to send it back to Suunto to get it completly reset.
If you call up Aqualung/Suunto Customer Service, that's exactly what the person will tell you. You'll be instructed to send the computer to Finland, and you'll probably be charged for the "service." Not sure how much return postage will be. In the end, the computer will be out of your possession for close to a month (if you're lucky) and shipping + labor charges will cost you $100+. How do I know? That was what Suunto Customer Service told me to do when I called up to inquire about changing a setting on my old Vyper.

That's a ridiculous set of hoops to make customers jump through, although the company probably has adopted this approach on account of liability concerns. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a very low (but real) probability that altering one of the software settings might brick the unit. As part of the official Suunto servicing, a factory technician probably does a full range of pressure testing, so you'd at least get that for your troubles.

The unofficial Suunto Tools website already mentioned in this thread contains very useful donationware. A couple years ago I used the Suunto Communicator program to change a setting on my Vyper that wasn't supposed to be user-definable. The interface was very clunky...but it worked like a charm.

There really is no need to reset it, as after a few days after the last dive recorded, the past dives have no effect on any current dives.

I report success resetting two Suunto Vypers using the tool mentioned elsewhere on this thread, and a third party USB cable by Custom Idea.

Back
Top Bottom