"Swim with the Dolphins" Good or bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did the AKR Roatan encounter. It was a great experience and they seemed well treated. But I didn't know then about the milliion dolar dolphin industry around the world for this type of activity and the abuse that goes on in some countries. Had I know then, I would not have gone. The dolphins are captured in the wild for this... They DO NOT come there of their free will... And they perform because they want the food and snacks, that's not really totally free to interact or not, is it? And they enjoy the safety of the pens? Com on, they don't really have many predators out there, do they...

I'm not trying to condemn anybody here. Each should do as he/she thinks is right. But at least call it for what it is. A lucrative, captured dolphin attraction! Not a research/protection institute...

Just my 0.02$

some places are just awful, yes

i think you have to judge them on a case-by-base basis

if the dolphins are well treated and happy, i don't really care what they call it

It does not really matter what you all think.

Its going to be done and the pod people are going to flock to attend.

Hey Dan congrats on your 1000th post :D :jump:

I feel that these dolphin events have a place if the dolphins are cared for. Yes, it may not be the most ideal situation for the dolphins in every case, but it serves the greater good. A zoo is another example for experts to study animals that they normally wouldn't get to do.

I feel it also allows people to learn and cherish these animals. This way when people in the wild start endangering that species the public will be on the animals side. Plus, how do we not know that dolphins don't want to be there? Most dolphins love people and want to please them, much like a dog would.

What if it someone told you it was unfair to keep a domesticated dog? A typical response might be, but my dog loves being with me. Some might suggest that dogs should live in the wild where they would be free to roam. Keeping them in a pen in your backyard or a crate for that matter isn't fair to the animal. I know it is comparing apples to oranges, but many dolphins were born in captivity. Just my .02 cents.

I have seen a few of these operations. I thought the one in Anthony's key were they were released and come back is probably the best of them. Dolphinus over in Costa Maya seems to be a good operation as well.

There are others where it appears that the water isn't deep enough. The ratio of people/dolphin are so high that animal can't manuever, or they allow the people to ride the dorsal fin which hurts the dolphin.

So I agree where its a case by case basis. They are beautiful creatures and it is fun to interact with them.

Diver Dennis:
Sorry. I should clarify. I meant the Dolphin operations that let people swim with CAPTIVE Dolphins and charge a handsome fee to do so.

You are hopping into a pool with wild animals. There is always the possibility they are having a bad day. Remember the trainer at Sea World who was messed up by the Orca? Or the woman who was attacked by a "friendly" dolphin in a pool? Or the woman who was repeatedly pulled under water by a "playfull" Dolphin while swimming off her boat?

They are wild animals being held in an un-natural setting. Anthing can happen and sometimes does. I would much prefer to see these animals in their natural habitat, not confined for peoples amusement.

Maybe you can take a nice walk with a Grizzly Bear, or perhaps snuggle up to a Lion?

Diver Dennis:
This is a break from another thread about whether to go to a resort that feeds Rays. I've never been to one and I'm curious, would you or have you gone swimming with the dolphins? What do you think about "Swim with the Dolphin" type operations? Should they be shut down or promoted? Good, bad or don't know?

EDIT: To clarify, I am talking about swimming with CAPTIVE Dolphins and allow interaction like touching and riding.

@ IMS(AKR ) on Roatan, a very good experience....As stated by H2Andy, I believe, the dolphins are free to go(one side of the net is not up)....Very well cared for & the handlers think of them as their family.......For Hurricane Mitch, they actually 'led' them out by boats & took them around to West End & put them in Julito's 'private ' channel by his house to ride out the storm...didn't lose a one.....

My son worked for them then & I can tell you from personal experience, these animals are cared for very well...My wife & I have done the dolphin swim several times and you will not regret it.......Good time had by all.....

Gil57usa:
You are hopping into a pool with wild animals. There is always the possibility they are having a bad day. Remember the trainer at Sea World who was messed up by the Orca? Or the woman who was attacked by a "friendly" dolphin in a pool? Or the woman who was repeatedly pulled under water by a "playfull" Dolphin while swimming off her boat?

They are wild animals being held in an un-natural setting. Anthing can happen and sometimes does. I would much prefer to see these animals in their natural habitat, not confined for peoples amusement.

Maybe you can take a nice walk with a Grizzly Bear, or perhaps snuggle up to a Lion?

You can't really compare keeping a captive dolphin with a bear or a lion. How many interactive shows could someone do with something like a lion. Dogs used to be a wild animal until we domesticated them wouldn't that apply to dolphins as well? Maybe we should stop breeding and raising dogs since they would be happier in the wild where they are free to roam. :coffee:

Back
Top Bottom