"Swim with the Dolphins" Good or bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dog populations around the world aren't decreasing or threatened...

I have no problem with some animals kept in captivity if they are serving a dual purpose or education/research, especially when it is aimed at the eventual conservation of the species (thus I can agree with research oriented centers). But most of these, and AKR is one of them (no matter how well they take care of the dolphins), are there just to make money off of it. While there, I asked what kind of research they did. The answer was behavioral; teaching them tricks and stuff! That's not research... That's business...

Once again, I'm not trying to shoot anyone down or judge them for going to these centers! I even understand how a poor country like Honduras needs any tourist money to develop. But each must do as they feel is right. Personally, I don't feel these operations are OK...

I can't wait till my next dolphin encounter... But it will be a wild encounter, or no encouinter at all.:coffee:

Just my 0.02$

Dolphins are not kept captive here in the Keys. Also The Turtle Hospital in Marathon brings there sea life to Mariners Hospital in Tavernier for CT's, blood work and anything else that they are not able to handle. One of my husbands patients was a very large sea turtle who was sick and my husband took her for a CT down in X-ray, He was so shooked because that was his 1st Pt. that was not human, he took a picture of this big turtle on the CT table. Since, My husband has taken care of alot of sea life that gets broght in. My point is that the sea life here in the Keys gets treated the same as people who come in the be treated in the hospital.

robbcayman:
You can't really compare keeping a captive dolphin with a bear or a lion. How many interactive shows could someone do with something like a lion. Dogs used to be a wild animal until we domesticated them wouldn't that apply to dolphins as well? Maybe we should stop breeding and raising dogs since they would be happier in the wild where they are free to roam. :coffee:

Talk about apples and oranges! Just because a dolphin is captive does NOT mean it is domesticated. Dog domestication took many thousands of years of selective breeding (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog#Ancestry_and_history_of_domestication). Just because a dolphin was born in a pen does not make it a domesticated animal. Most domesticated dogs would do quite poorly in the wild. Their wolf instincts have been bred out. Captive dolphins have lost none of their wild instincts.

H2Andy:
oh yeah ... they get taken out regularly, though the dolphins don't run away when given the chance. their buddies are inside, they get fed, and they get to play ... it's a pretty good life for a dolphin the wild is a harsh place, Disney documentaries aside

Are you saying that they only let a few out at a time? If so this is why they do not leave - they are a pod and social critters as such they want to be together. At they same time they have been habituated to the good life so leaving is hard.

CODMAN:
I have no problem with some animals kept in captivity if they are serving a dual purpose or education/research, especially when it is aimed at the eventual conservation of the species (thus I can agree with research oriented centers). But most of these, and AKR is one of them, are there just to make money off of it. While there, I asked what kind of research they did. The answer was behavioral; teaching them tricks and stuff! That's not research... That's business...

I agree DAN's Altert Diver Mag did a profile of a place that was doing "research" but at the same time allowing the public to come in for a paid swim. This is called pseudo-science. I took the editors to task for promting this - especially for an orgainization such as DAN. I bet the folks at these places have never published a peer reviewed article on their research let alone submit one for consideration. You are either doing research or you are doing tourism - there is very little gray area.

Personally, I vote with my $$ and do not patronage such places.

There a lot of strong opinions out there on both sides of this issue and it's hard to say who is right. however I will add my .02 psi of experience to the conversation. Having had the privilege to swim with truly wild dolphins (after waiting 2,500 or so dives to do so) it was a once in a lifetime experience that simply took my breath away. This happened a couple years ago while working on the Nekton Pilot on a trip to the NW Bahamas. Totally random pod of spotted dolphins show up and play with us under the boat for like 15 mins. Unprecedented and unreal, all the guests were like, that's cool you guys get to do this every week? It was hard to explain that this was a rare event, we would find some that would snorkel with us about 50% of the time, but rarely if ever would they hang out with divers on scuba.

Two weeks ago we did the Dolphin Experience at UNEXSO on Grand Bahama. I must admit that initially the only reason I agreed to participate was because the dive trip had been blown out that day and it seemed like an "OK" way to spend the morning. I had no illusions that it would ever compare to my wild dolphin experiences in the past. That being said, I must say that is was a top notch operation. Clean and secure the dolphins were obviously well-cared for and "seemed" to enjoy their interaction with people. Yes. they do it for food, but occasionally they would choose to take what the trainer called a "union break" and just swim off and do whatever they wanted. We were told that most of the residents there were second or third generation and that they rarely if ever choose to leave. Yes they can easily jump over the docks that pen them in but the reason they don't is because they supposedly can't tell how wide the dock is and therefore are reluctant to risk beaching themselves in an attempt. Oddly enough, when then do open the gates to do the open ocean encounter some of the younger ones are reluctant to leave and have to be coxed out or paired with and older dolphin who knows they ropes. When they do the open ocean swims with them they follow the boat out of the protected harbor and out into the open ocean, at this point they are free to go and do as they please, but they choose to come back.

All in all I would have to say it was a totally worth while experience. All the trainers seemed to genuinely care about the critters and I think the most impressive thing that most people take away from the experience in just how magnificent these creatures are when you get close to them. Learning more about the things we love tends to make us all better stewards of our environment.

I think that anyone who has an encounter of any sort with a dolphin (wild or not) will come away with a deeper understanding and appreciation for them and ultimately will become a lifelong fan and advocate for their well being. This can only be a good thing.

"We fear what we don't understand, and we protect the things we love"

...that is why we have well branded "Dolphin Safe" tuna while over 100 million sharks perish at the hands of humans annually, compared to the 10-15 people killed by sharks each year. (source = http://www.sharkattacks.com/sharksvictims.htm)

I do know that some facilities don't obtain dolphins from the wild any longer. However, most facilities worldwide obtain their dolphins from groups that kill the adults in the pods and and sell the young ones to these shows and facilities. If you know much about how dolphins relate to eachother in their pods, this is pretty bad for the dolphin. I'm sure they're well cared for in the type of facilities that obtain their dolphins this way; it's their source of money. If they weren't well cared for, no one would pay to visit their operations.

It all depends on the facility. Some actually have a plan for the dolphins as they age or are no longer financially worthwhile to the operation. Other's simply clean house and obtain more young dolphins to train.

Just something to think about.

Take care all.

Even if the operations don't do any meaningful research, I'd agree that people having had these 'canned experiences' walk away with a greater understanding and love for the animals. I didn't know anything about Orcas until I went to Sea World and saw their show (many, many years ago), and now better understand and appreciate the importance of 'Saving the Whales'. Do I think these giant whales enjoy being cramped up in small tanks? No, but I do think that whales as a whole have benefited from this (talk about taking one for the team!). I think as more people do canned dolphin dives, more people will understand the importance protecting not only these animals, but their environment as well. Likewise, if more people did the shark feedings/encounters, they'd understand these creatures aren't dangerous in most situations and should also be preserved and enjoyed. This is something that I think should be regulated to some extent, but not done away with.

I'm with they shouldn't be held captive and make $$$ on them same with a zoo. I've dove with dolphins in the wild only..and that's the way they should remain. I will NOT visit a zoo and or any aquarium. how cruel is to have like a whale in a tank not anywhere near the thousands of feet it can swim in the wild. it's just totally wrong.

I'm on the fence. My children did the one in the keys and loved it...I think these experiences are great for kids to develop an appreciation and wonder, as long as the places are well run.

But..I resisted going to the one in Cozumel even though I was dying to take pictures of them. I heard some negative stuff about the place.

Sealife Park here on Oahu is bad I hear and they lose a lot of animals and just keep recycling them. I don't take people there and I have never been in 6 years here.

I think sometimes you just have to go with the reputations.
Are there biologists and research there, or is it a zoo?

If the pricey activities fund or subsidize the research, maybe it benefits the cause?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom