"Swim with the Dolphins" Good or bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agreed 100%.

jasondcrawford:
Even if the operations don't do any meaningful research, I'd agree that people having had these 'canned experiences' walk away with a greater understanding and love for the animals. I didn't know anything about Orcas until I went to Sea World and saw their show (many, many years ago), and now better understand and appreciate the importance of 'Saving the Whales'. Do I think these giant whales enjoy being cramped up in small tanks? No, but I do think that whales as a whole have benefited from this (talk about taking one for the team!). I think as more people do canned dolphin dives, more people will understand the importance protecting not only these animals, but their environment as well. Likewise, if more people did the shark feedings/encounters, they'd understand these creatures aren't dangerous in most situations and should also be preserved and enjoyed. This is something that I think should be regulated to some extent, but not done away with.

robbcayman:
Well, I'm just not as smart as you regarding the domestication of animals. If a dog grows up in the wild and learns to hunt and fend for itself, then I would call that dog wild. I realize that the dogs ancestors may have been born in captivity, but if the dog can succeed in the wild, then why wouldn't that be called a wild dog? As Ron Burgundy would say agree to disagree. :wink:
Domestication has a really specific meaning, and over time a domesticated animal does become different than its wild cousins. Dogs are like wolves, but they are not wolves. Pet ferrets are like European polecats, but they are not polecats.

A pet dog may escape into the wild and form a pack with other escaped domestic dogs. It may become a dangerous animal. It's feral... but it ain't no wolf.

I once read that domestication is basically breeding animals that will keep much of their infant behavior into their adult life. It's the traits of the young--placidity, ability to remain social with others of its kind--that make for a good domesticated animal.

Back to the ferret example: polecats are not social animals and when a litter grows up they go their separate ways until breeding time. Domestic ferrets, which were bred from polecats, have the same dietary needs as the wild stock but are social animals fit for human companions. (And an escaped ferret has lost so much of its killer instinct that it will not survive long out of doors, too.)

That's good to know Andy. I really didn't know what the conditions were like. They must be content, otherwise they might not interact well with the people who get in with them.

I'm not against interaction with marine life. Sometimes I believe that they are curious and may want some type of interaction.

I have never heard of any injuries in these types of operations and although these are wild Dolphins, I think they do become used to interacting with humans and might like it.

There will undoubtedly some operations that are substandard, just like zoos but the chance to interact and be close to a Dolphin, as others have posted here, might just get people to be more involved in the preservation of their natural habitat.

CODMAN:
Taking an animal like this from the wild has a huge impact on it, and the populations. I can,t condone it when it's exclusively done for profit...
QUOTE]

I guess you're not a big fan of ancient agricultural practices then, because they took horses/oxen out of the wild to increase crop yields (i.e. profit). Maybe we should all be hunters/gatherers?

No swim with dolphins tourist trap for me. I won't go to Sea World either.
Dolphins and other big animals in the water don't live nearly as long in captivity.
One handler told me it's to their benefit because they don't have to worry about preditors. I suggested he live in prison for the same reason. He'll never have to worry about getting hit by a car.
If I want to be with dolphins I'll go where they live and hope they'll swim by.
Not a fan of zoos either.
Rex

I need help here. I have a coworker who "rides" dolphins. She even has pictures of her holding onto the dorsal fin and being pulled through the water. Those pictures make me cringe but I need some info to stop her. Does it harm the dolphin when people "ride" them? What harm does it do?

Any help would be appreciated so I can educate my coworker.

Back
Top Bottom