swimming with a Great White

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman:
Some of it might even be real.

Watch it again. The close ups were shot later and edited in for effect. So all the timing is off. We show the diver going down (no GW in the shot) then cut to the shark swimming in (no diver in the shot). Then that shot from the shark's perspective (shark-cam) with the guy reaching out and pushing on the camera... Funny!

So much is camtrickery that the whole is to be view with a grain of salt.

Are you saying you want all the film unedited :confused: Of course it has been edited. One couldn't possibly think all that coverage came in one continuous shot. It is like taking photos, you don't necessarily show all the "bad" ones. Looks as though this was done over some time. I don't think they were trying to pass it off as a day at the beach.

Anyway, this is something that is certainly my cup of tea. Gosh if only I could pack up and travel around diving 24/7 *Miss staring out window daydreaming*

My thoughts?

Freedivers are manly men.

I would need better viz and more "buddies"

One of our captains climbed out of a cage and petted a hug GW last year, photos in the paper

Amazing! thanks for posting

I have a video with my friend Armando Jenik where he is being bumped repeatedly by A Tiger off Tortola. Someday, I will figure out how to upload and post! Awe inspiring to watch the shark deep throat a Marlin on a hook.

That GW in your video just isn't hungry.

Bill, you ever dive seal rock? (Catalina, past harbor, opposite of H. Cove direction?)

I took my little babies snorkeling there...brilliant, huh? four and five years old.

I am re-reading Carlos Eyles right now. whoa...what a man/ fish stalker! Part of it is Catalina. The Last Of the Blue Water Hunters. maybe you knew him, or are you too young?

drbill:
I've dived here off-and-on for 38 years now and never had a single encounter underwater (only topside while in boats). Of course it may be because I keep my eyes glued to my camera viewfinder and wouldn't see a shark if it were looking over my shoulder ("ignorance" is bliss?)!

:rofl3: and how true I know that is :wink:

Most of the shots seem real enough, at least in part. These are big boys too, a little more curiousity on the part of the shark and you've lost a limb and maybe your life. Regardless of his background I see some bad judgement calls in some of this footage. While I have no unreasonable phobias about GWs or sharks in general I can only reply with. What a dumbazz!!!

Carribeandiver:
I wonder why the shark made repeated attempts to 'feel' the diver out? Could it be the shark was that curious about this infrequently seen 'fish' in the water? Then suddenly 2 GWs appeared.

It's not just one or two sharks though but several I think - probably shot on different occasions. You'll notice one is missing part of his fin and others have very different sizes and colourings. also the diver carries different equipment, and - Unless it's an effect produced by lighting - is wearing alternately a black and yellow set of fins (so much for yum yum yellow).

Even with some of the MTV-sequences a lot of the individual shots are amazing enough and could only be doctored it seems to me with extensive and pretty professional use of computers.

I like his mask.

Missdirected:
Are you saying you want all the film unedited :confused:
No, of course not. What I'm saying is that they obviously went back into the water and shot a bunch of close-ups and stuff that didn't happen at the event and edited it into the event.

Happens all the time.

catherine96821:
My thoughts?

Freedivers are manly men.

I would need better viz and more "buddies"

One of our captains climbed out of a cage and petted a hug GW last year, photos in the paper

Amazing! thanks for posting

I have a video with my friend Armando Jenik where he is being bumped repeatedly by A Tiger off Tortola. Someday, I will figure out how to upload and post! Awe inspiring to watch the shark deep throat a Marlin on a hook.

That GW in your video just isn't hungry.

Bill, you ever dive seal rock? (Catalina, past harbor, opposite of H. Cove direction?)

I took my little babies snorkeling there...brilliant, huh? four and five years old.

I am re-reading Carlos Eyles right now. whoa...what a man/ fish stalker! Part of it is Catalina. The Last Of the Blue Water Hunters. maybe you knew him, or are you too young?

Catherine: I was fortunate enough to fly back from a DEMA show with Carlos Eyles. We spent the whole time talking-I was mostly listening-about diving, the sea, etc. At one point Carlos told me that he thought that the most intelligent mammals in the ocean are: Whales, Dolphins, Humans, in that order. Seems right to me.

He is probably amazing.

I love talking to people like that.

Hartman doesn't always get away completely with it btw

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/innews/cage2004.html

2004103121540931_Sharkman.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom