swimming with a Great White

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wardric:
Hartman doesn't always get away completely with it btw

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/innews/cage2004.html

2004103121540931_Sharkman.jpg

Mmmm, foot fungus for dinner, yum yum :winky:

In the footage, while he is not holding a speargun, he has something small in his hand that seems coil tethered to devices on his waist.

Could this be some kind of electrical transmitter that could be faking out some of the natural senses on the shark when it gets close?

Or am I just off the wall here?

grassyknoll:
. I imagine he must get his wet-suits custom made to accomodate the extra bulk in the crotch area.
I was thinking exactly the same. This is not something my brain cells would let me do.
Pretty impressive though. Certainly held my interest for the length of the clip.

catherine96821:
Bill, you ever dive seal rock? (Catalina, past harbor, opposite of H. Cove direction?)

I took my little babies snorkeling there...brilliant, huh? four and five years old.

I am re-reading Carlos Eyles right now. whoa...what a man/ fish stalker! Part of it is Catalina. The Last Of the Blue Water Hunters. maybe you knew him, or are you too young?

Catherine, surely you must be joking. Seal Rock is one site I doubt I'll ever dive. Between the abundance of furry food and the almost permanent poor vis, I would not even attempt it. However, I do dive Church Rock, the East End Quarry, Little Farnsworth, Farnsworth Bank, Ship Rock, etc., so our Governator could hardly classify me as a "girly man."

How many toes do your kids have?

Two friends of mine swam to shore at Seal Rocks to retrieve some things they'd left on the beach the day before. After they swam back to the boat and were heading towards Avalon, they saw a large sea lion hit, and disemboweled (sp?), by a great white not far from their swim.

I wish I were too young, but no... I never met Carlos. I was hidden in little old Toyon Bay most of my early years on Catalina.

Catherine, surely you must be joking.

well, I thought you might have shot sharks there or something. Or seals!

yes, I took them with Steve Forbath, on his inflatable. He is captain of the Newport Flyer... he took his little girl. (what were we thinking?) The seal poop alone would keep me out now.

My boy child only fears the wild boars.

Missdirected:
:rofl3: and how true I know that is :wink:

But Tracy, you certainly must have learned from your dives out here on our boat that the "good" Doctor is easily distracted from his viewfinder when a lovely lady in neoprene swims by! Great whites just don't have what it takes to distract me!!

drbill:
But Tracy, you certainly must have learned from your dives out here on our boat that the "good" Doctor is easily distracted from his viewfinder when a lovely lady in neoprene swims by! Great whites just don't have what it takes to distract me!!

True, true, you are correct :giggle:

Mr Carcharodon:
Here is a report from Shark Research Commitee that gave me the willies:

Black Rock, Catalina Island — On November 4, 2006 Ken Hill was SCUBA diving at Black Rock, West End of Catalina Island.
... to be that close , looking at it and only then have recognition set in :11: !!! ..... gives me the willies and the Heebee jeebees!

Oh, and awesome and scary video Eric, thanks

I'm concerned about the danger on a number of points.

1.) GWS's are said to sometimes give 'exploratory bites' to see what a thing is. A nip could do major damage.

2.) Ever seen one on t.v. 'knaw on the side' of a boat where they're chumming? I've seen it on t.v. once. If their mouths are a means of feeling of something & learning more about it, I'd hate to get 'investigated' by one.

3.) Individual animals of many species vary in temperment, openess to dietary variety, recent hunting success/current hunger level, general aggression level, etc...

All that said, I figure natural selection will eventually prove out. It may be a 'rush' & thrill for some. It would terrify me so badly that even if the shark did nothing aggressive but swim nearby I'd be traumatized.

Richard.

catherine96821:
My boy child only fears the wild boars.

When I was V.P. of the Catalina Conservancy, we got rid of most of the boar (and "all" of the feral goats). However, your old haunts at Hamilton Cove are truly plagued by dozens and dozens of mule deer when I head over there at night to have dinner with one of my dive buddies and his wife. Without the goats as competitors, their numbers are on the increase.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom