Sympathy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chaney

Reaction score
;-0 ;-0 The water is to nasty to dive into!! I live in a place where the Corps of Engineers control the lake levels. The two lakes that I normally dive are well into the tree line. Is this good for spear fishing? YES, but you can't see a fish if you can't see your hand. I guess I'm looking for sympathy if anybody's got any!!

Buy a good light and go anyway.
Rich :eek:ut:

I have dove in the Detroit River with in 24 hour after rain and the only way to read my guages was to stick them in front of my mask. My buddy and I used a 10 foot rope so we wouldn't lose each other and within two minutes we were holding on to each others arms. we could not communicate. needless to say abort the dive and that is all she wrote. The wreck we were looking for, we believe we drifted right on to it because we were holding on to a piece of wood that was on a 45 degree angle. my buddy wrote on his slate that he believed we were on it, bu we could not see it. Nasty, Nasty.:eek:

blind diving is better than no diving..Be happy you got to dive lol Scott:lol:

Our local lakes are also very high. Bullshoals Lake and Lake Norfork in northern Arkansas. They are both Corp of Engineer lakes and the river downstream is too high to allow the dams to opened up. I havent been up there yet, but the reports say that the visibility is good.....20-25 feet. I dont know if that is accurate or not.....like I said, I havent checked it firsthand. I assume you must be talking about the same lakes since you are talking about spearfishing? Its only legal in Arkansas and Alaska, but the season hasnt opened yet....Opens the 15th I think?

Originally posted by ScubyDoo
Its only legal in Arkansas and Alaska, but the season hasnt opened yet....Opens the 15th I think?

This is not true, I personally know you can spearfish in Missouri, Iowa, and Nebraska and I'd bet money there are other states also.

Make sure u have a knife if you get caught up in some left-over fishing line in those low-viz lakes. Hey, not everybody enjoys diving in lakes. If it's no darn fun, it's ok to just keep your basic skills alive in a pool till you can travel. But if you can get good in low-viz situations, you are developing some very useful skills!

Sometimes the bad viz exists in bands and its clearer if you go deeper, I guess its what your used to. Diving in low viz helps to develop good buddy skills. We try to stay at shoulder level and within arms length.

:rolleyes: Ok I'll go and quit complaining. Just to be in the water is better than being on land. Scubydoo I live in M.H. and we were at Tracy Ferry last week it was still nasty. We were in a cove so the main lake will probably be better. I'll go Sunday and check it out. I heard this morning that they have been running water around the clock. That will bring the clarity back. :mean:

Hey, most of my diving is in vis of 0 to 6" and that is good in a way. If I could really see what all was down there I might not go back. :D

For some jobs in the soup we use foil to cover the faceplate of the helmet so that our eyes are not trying to focus on nothing but glop and giving us headaches.

We sometimes have to take measurements like pipe diameters in water with zero vis and for this we use a clear plastic rod that we place against the measuring instrument and place the faceplate against the rod. We have a fiberoptic cable from a flashlight to light the end of the rod that is against the instrument.

I guess getting paid to be down there compensates for not seeing anything.
:D

For fun dives I like to be able to see things before I can touch them.

Back
Top Bottom