"Take a class"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storker

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
close to a Hell which occasionally freezes over
# of dives
100 - 199
This weekend, one of my LDSs gave a class. In wetsuit diving.

For someone who certified OW in a drysuit, and whose diving buddies and clubmates dive almost exclusively dry, this is a little bit funny. But also pretty illustrative. If you take your basic training in one specific type of gear, it might very well be a good idea to take a class if you're switching to another type of gear. So, those who certify - and do their first 50-100-200 dives - wet might benefit from taking a drysuit class when they buy a drysuit to be able to stay comfy, toasty warm in cold water and colder topside conditions while those who certify dry and do their first 50-100-200 dives dry might benefit from taking a wetsuit class if they buy a wetsuit which is infinitely more suitable for freediving.

I appreciate the concept but I've been at it too long to appreciate the need. Can you describe what is covered in the class?
No, I can't. I'm not a freediver, so I have no reason for going wet when I'm diving back home. I just saw my LDS's post on FaceAche, chuckled a little bit given the numerous "take a drysuit class" posts here and then started thinking a little. Which lead to me starting this thread.

As I said, I don't know what went into the class. And I suspect that there was more to the class, since the guy running the shop likes to joke a bit. Nice guy, BTW, and one I really trust when it comes to diving related questions.

But the basic idea of my OP was a "it's not so much what you're trying to do as how unfamiliar you are with what you're trying to do" type of message.

Actually, it may not be a bad idea, depending on the circumstances.

Tropical 3mm - not so much.

I can see it being helpful when considering selection of thickness and styles (particularly wet vs. 'Semi-dry'). But the big value I see is in weighting strategy and boyancy swing at depth with thick suits - particularly, addressing the potential need for a redundant boyancy system or partial weight drop.

Something that should be addressed in OW (or at least AOW) but seems mostly ignored.

It sounds funny thinking that you actually might need to train people in wetsuits until you actually sit back and think about it.

Drysuits are, despite the air migration issues, actually a reasonably easy thing to use. You add more air as you need to as you get deeper to keep the loft in your undersuit and then vent it as you rise. Keep on top of that and you are ok.

Wetsuits have other issues because of the compression of the suit. You need to think of the suit thickness at depth not on the surface to decide on how warm you will be. Also you need more weight at the surface than at depth because you lose buoyancy as you descend. This means, especially with thick suits for colder climates, that it can be very easy to screw up your weighting and be dangerously overweighted at depth.

It sounds funny thinking that you actually might need to train people in wetsuits until you actually sit back and think about it.
What IMO was funny was that you often hear that people ought to take a class when they go from wet to dry. This is the first time I've heard of a wetsuit class. I didnt think that a wetsuit class was funny per se.

So I think we agree pretty well :)

A badge, a badge, do I get a badge in "wetsuit diving" along with another C card in "wetsuit diving"?

I take lots of classes as an adult in lots of areas while paying tuition and not getting, or expecting, a concrete certificate or credential. Just because I’m interested in learning and/or improving my skills.

Back
Top Bottom