Taking advanced open water soon.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbdqsony

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all-

I'm thrilled that I'm going to take advanced open water course with Pro Dive International in Fort Lauderdale shortly.

I am curious is there anything I need to know about the course? Using 2 tanks also possible carry 3rd tank on ur side? Etc??

And advanced open water is one card but the course involves The 5 ocean boat dives will involve you in various underwater tasks that will broaden your diving awareness and capabilities. During the class, you will complete the following Adventure Dives:

1) Underwater Navigation (Required)
2) Deep Diving (Required)
3) Drift Diving (Elective)*
4) Peak Performance Buoyancy (Elective)*
5) Night Diving (Elective)*

Do I get card another cards for above?

Also do you love night diving? Ever face curious sharks?

My goal is to become Divemaster, I am deaf... that way whenever there is any shop around here has deaf discover divers or whatever... they can contact me.... I just love diving!

Assuming it's PADI, you just get the AOW card. I found the night diving course's only thing to really worry about is to keep other divers' lights well within sight.

"Peak Performance Buoyancy?" Must be PADI.

I very much doubt that you will wear doubles or sling a tank during your course.

Short of having your OW cert, everything you will need to prepare for and complete your Adventure Dives will be provided to you.

Have fun!

Yeah it's PADI sorry forgot to mention that--

Can you tell me (us) why you really worry about night dive?

Here's example video of guy who got VERY VERY close to large shark...timeframe start at 2:40
Night Dive - 18 Fathom on Vimeo

Assuming it's PADI, you just get the AOW card. I found the night diving course's only thing to really worry about is to keep other divers' lights well within sight.

Can you tell me (us) why you really worry about night dive?

I believe that TMHeimer did not say that he was worried about night dives. Rather, he said the only thing you need to worry about while on a night dive is to stay close to your buddy so that you can see their light(s). If there are many night divers in several small groups it becomes increasingly likely that you will accidentally surface with someone other than the person you went down with.

Your first night dive will be a rush - nothing makes you feel "I don't belong here" quite like standing in a dark body of water. Just stick close to your buddy and make sure that you are both doing OK. Expect your air consumption to be higher than normal. You may also see some very cool and curious animals.

Unless your instructor prohibits or discourages it, I find it reassuring to have my backup flashlight clipped onto my BC and turned on - if my primary were to fail I would just have to grab the backup and would not even have to worry about switching it on. FWIW, at night I dive with two backup lights (second BU is in a pocket).

Thanks- Yeah the course does require 2nd flashlight which I've purchase all requirements.

I believe that TMHeimer did not say that he was worried about night dives. Rather, he said the only thing you need to worry about while on a night dive is to stay close to your buddy so that you can see their light(s). If there are many night divers in several small groups it becomes increasingly likely that you will accidentally surface with someone other than the person you went down with.

Your first night dive will be a rush - nothing makes you feel "I don't belong here" quite like standing in a dark body of water. Just stick close to your buddy and make sure that you are both doing OK. Expect your air consumption to be higher than normal. You may also see some very cool and curious animals.

Unless your instructor prohibits or discourages it, I find it reassuring to have my backup flashlight clipped onto my BC and turned on - if my primary were to fail I would just have to grab the backup and would not even have to worry about switching it on. FWIW, at night I dive with two backup lights (second BU is in a pocket).

My goal is to become Divemaster, I am deaf... that way whenever there is any shop around here has deaf discover divers or whatever... they can contact me.... I just love diving!

That is a great goal. However, if you are doing it for money, take a careful look at how much it will cost: (1) to annually maintain your DM status with PADI; and (2) to annually pay for the insurance that PADI will require you to carry. Balance this against what you expect to clear in a given day.

Diving is clearly not about the money - it is about having fun. But if you plan to make a living by being a DM, be sure that your expectations are realistic. If, on the other hand, you view being a DM as a hobby which almost pays for itself, then you are likely to be very happy.

Are you bringing your own equipment, or renting? If you are renting, I would think it highly likely that you will be diving a standard single tank setup, without a pony bottle.

You get one card for the AOW class. Each of the dives can count as a dive toward the respective specialty -- so, for example, if you do a deep dive, that will count as one of the four required for the specialty, if you go on to do it.

Enjoy the night dive. I love night diving -- it seems as though so many things are out and active at night that you never see during the day.

Also do you love night diving? Ever face curious sharks?

Yes. Yes I do love it :D

No curious sharks. All I've seen aren't curious at all, they basically ignore you, but my exposure is limited.

Im not doing this for money at all. Once I'm divemaster I'm gladly to volunteer to work on boat and help out other companies when they need or if they have Deaf wants to do Discover Diving or new Deaf Students... In fact I LOVE Diving to death!!

I am planning on provide free American Sign Language course for South Florida Divers who want have easy access to communicate underwater. I am curious would you be interested in that?

That is a great goal. However, if you are doing it for money, take a careful look at how much it will cost: (1) to annually maintain your DM status with PADI; and (2) to annually pay for the insurance that PADI will require you to carry. Balance this against what you expect to clear in a given day.

Diving is clearly not about the money - it is about having fun. But if you plan to make a living by being a DM, be sure that your expectations are realistic. If, on the other hand, you view being a DM as a hobby which almost pays for itself, then you are likely to be very happy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom