Talk about a rant!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will weigh in on this -- I think true solo diving is a bit too risky. On the other hand I have no issues with getting seperated from my buddy (easy to do in waters around here) We are competent divers don't push limits are always good about making sure we have plenty of air when we surface. If there are other divers in the water near by I don't have a problem. I did once dive Solo ~40' in a lake. I just wasn't comforatble and back in the boat after about 10-15minutes. Without someone else in the water or with equipment ready in the event of equipment failure/entanglement time to rescue just became long enought to become a recovery operation.

Personally I think formal certifications for most rec diving are silly all I have are OW and Drysuit (Class came with suit) I have done Night, current (hard not to do current around here), boat, nav, spearfishing...... all on my own and am perfectly confident that I am not missing much that a class would offer other than a stamp in my logbook.

He is everybody's buddy, but no one is his. Even in a crowd, you must be ready for any and everything. Yes, I have even gone diving with out a group to herd, just on my own. Big whoop! Most divers that I would normally dive with would have no way to save me without compromising their safety. I do give NAUI some credit for having rescues in their basic OW, but in reality, I am still alone with many divers around me.

As a disclaimer... you should NEVER EVER dive beyond your training or abilities. While I dive in a certain manner, I have prepared to do so. I do not recommend solo-diving, in fact I think it is far better for the VAST majority of divers to only dive with a Dive Master or an instructor that knows your area. In any case, you have to make the decision of what is right for you. I am imcompetent to make those decisions for anyone but myself.

I remember that article in Rodale's. Their argument in favor of a solo certification was based on being buddied up with the least competent diver on a dive boat, because of their own experience/certification level. Depending on the buddy, they felt that solo diving was preferrable and, again depending on the buddy, safer. Some (most) boats won't let you go solo. But, if there were a c-card you could show, and a waiver you could sign, you would stand a better chance of being allowed to dive by yourself.

In principal, I'm not opposed to the idea of certifying solo divers; but the quality training has to be there. SDI requires a minimum of 100 logged dives, and Advanced open water or equiv. IMO, that's not enough. Divers can jump from their basic OW class to AOW too quickly, without the needed experience. Rescue Diver or equiv. should be the minimum, again IMO.

And, I can't believe they allow the use of a Spare Air to meet their redundant gas requirement!

Mike,

Based on the little I know, the situation you describe potentially allows Peter to introduce Murphy to Darwin.

For me solo diving is outside the risk versus reward envelope. There are too many things that can happen to incapacitate you, no matter how well you are trained and how smart you are. I would not dive with a buddy that I did not think could get me to the surface in an emergency!

Mike

Sumguy, I can imagen the reason for not requiring Rescue Diver probably has more to do with the fact that class is more geared around rescuing another diver, more than rescuing yourself from a dangerious situation. However a class that provides this I agree should be taught to get certified to dive solo.

Ryan Stone
IDCS

Good point, rstone. I'll be taking my rescue diver course this summer, so I don't know exactly what to expect. I was hoping for some training on self-rescue, as well.

SDI....Isn't that the agency that requires computers for OW certification and not longer teaches tables? I believe that what I read in Rodales last night. The article comparing agency training mauals. Is this correct or no?:confused:

Originally posted by sumguy
Good point, rstone. I'll be taking my rescue diver course this summer, so I don't know exactly what to expect. I was hoping for some training on self-rescue, as well.

Both self rescue AND self preservation are taught in the PADI course... never did get the hang of giving myself resue breathing... :tease:

It's just another method of making money, much like many other "niche" courses.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom