Talk to me about the Conshelf XIV Supreme

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've actually asked this very question literally 5 or 6 times now, and literally gotten no answer from the collective expertise on this board other than "it has a chrome plated 2nd stage."

What, exactly, makes the best available conshelf better -- or why is it an advantageous choice to.. these regs?

-Apeks XTX
-Aqualung Legend
-Scubapro MK17
-Aqualung Titan
-Atomic T-3

If you can't answer simple questions like this, forgive me for being rude, but you're just talking out of your backside. If you just know a ton about one reg, and you love it to absolute death -- great, say that. But don't say it's better than other regs you don't know much about. If you don't know much about them, that is. I'm guessing you do. And I'd like to hear the specific reasons why the Conshelf is, in your opinion, superior to the above regs..

I've actually asked this very question literally 5 or 6 times now, and literally gotten no answer from the collective expertise on this board other than "it has a chrome plated 2nd stage."

What, exactly, makes the best available conshelf better -- or why is it an advantageous choice to.. these regs?

-Apeks XTX
-Aqualung Legend
-Scubapro MK17
-Aqualung Titan
-Atomic T-3

If you can't answer simple questions like this, forgive me for being rude, but you're just talking out of your backside. If you just know a ton about one reg, and you love it to absolute death -- great, say that. But don't say it's better than other regs you don't know much about. If you don't know much about them, that is. I'm guessing you do. And I'd like to hear the specific reasons why the Conshelf is, in your opinion, superior to the above regs..

LOL

Last edited:

-Apeks XTX
-Aqualung Legend
-Scubapro MK17
-Aqualung Titan
-Atomic T-3

I dive the legend, titan and the XIV, seen many with the other three you mention.

Internally the XIV are the same as the Titan and legend, they are just made out of thicker walled chrome plated brass. To me they are easier to keep clean than the titans and the Legends. When I was working as a hardhat diver I seen a lot of the atomics and scubapros get eaten up by grit and mud, HAVING to be rebuilt every year, the people diving XIV's (like me) would rebuild them every few years just in case, mine never developed any leaks, even after being filled with mud and sand almost every day (you mount the bottle upside down in hardhat) and only rinsed off when it rains. My XIV is not environmentally sealed. I just dug my XIV out of my box of random regs and hooked it up to a tank and it still functions fine and no leaks, it was put in the box 5 years ago and I doubt I washed it off after the last dive I did with it. the 2nd stage (not a XIV 2nd stage) and PSIG were shot so I put some spairs on it, but the 1st stage is in working condition (no leaks breaths fine on surface), I don't know if you can do that with the other ones on the list I know you can with the XIV, they are damn near bullet proof.

I hope that answers your question.

the conshelf xiv has an all metal 2nd stage, the metal casing has an advantage over plastic as it makes the 2nd harder to develop ice and also condenses moisture from your breath so you get less dry mouth.

disadvantage is that there is little venturi assist like with more modern second stages and no cracking adjustment which makes it tough to get a light tune with dry sealed overbalanced 1st stages for deeper diving.

Kirby Morgan makes a metal Conshelf-like(superflow) 2nd stage that's adjustable (they are the same regs as on a few of their hardhats and use to be made by US Divers but now they make them. I have used the conshelf XIV rebuild kits on the one on my hat)

I dive the legend, titan and the XIV, seen many with the other three you mention.

Internally the XIV are the same as the Titan and legend, they are just made out of thicker walled chrome plated brass. To me they are easier to keep clean than the titans and the Legends. When I was working as a hardhat diver I seen a lot of the atomics and scubapros get eaten up by grit and mud, HAVING to be rebuilt every year, the people diving XIV's (like me) would rebuild them every few years just in case, mine never developed any leaks, even after being filled with mud and sand almost every day (you mount the bottle upside down in hardhat) and only rinsed off when it rains. My XIV is not environmentally sealed. I just dug my XIV out of my box of random regs and hooked it up to a tank and it still functions fine and no leaks, it was put in the box 5 years ago and I doubt I washed it off after the last dive I did with it. the 2nd stage (not a XIV 2nd stage) and PSIG were shot so I put some spairs on it, but the 1st stage is in working condition (no leaks breaths fine on surface), I don't know if you can do that with the other ones on the list I know you can with the XIV, they are damn near bullet proof.

I hope that answers your question.

Internally, the Conshelf, Titan and Legend are all the same? But yours wasn't environmentally sealed??

They all have that as an option, but mine are not. I got the XIV that way for ease of rebuilding on the boat if needed (I would be on the boat for 2-3 months at a time)

I have only seen a few of the recreational ones for sale, but never was able to get one.

I love diving the one in my hat, it works with a pressure as low as 50 psi, and would dive it at 125 psi all the time, I have had it cranked up to 250 psi but it starts to free flow at that point. The one in my hat is one of the original superflows, when US Divers was making them for Kirby Morgan.

Internally, the Conshelf, Titan and Legend are all the same? But yours wasn't environmentally sealed??

The Titan (older model, not the newer one) and Conshelf first stages are identical inside, the Legend (older version) uses the same parts in a slightly different layout. The latest version of the Legend and Titan first stages are identical to each other (but NOT the older versions) and are NOT the ones we are suggesting. The environmental seal on the Titan and Conshelf are optional features, its' standard on the Legends. Unless you are diving very cold water, it's a waste of money.

Back
Top Bottom