Tank explosion - San Pedro Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you know of anyone who's ever traveled internationally, to dive recreationally, that's ever brought their own??
I fly my 19 cf anywhere, since you asked the broad question.

That is a very extreme position to take on the tanks. Go research how many (actually few) tanks have exploded over the years, and how many are Al versus steel, and I come to a completely different conclusion. If you lived close to Ohio I'd be willing to buy some of those young tanks from you! At our school we have 20 year old Al tanks than get treated well, and regular inspections. A 20+ year old 6351 tanks just passed its eddy current test with flying colors. I think it was an 86 vintage.

It would be nice to receive the final analysis of what caused the tank to explode.
I personally no longer keep aluminum tanks that are older than two hydros because of my belief that the repetative filling cycles cause too much stress and wear on a soft metal tank made of aluminum.

My condolences to all his family and friends.

It was not an oxygen tank. it was a air tank. I don't think anyone has any oxygen except for emergency use on the island. Amigos del Mar seems to fill most of the tanks on the island. They run a service dropping off filled tanks and picking up empties from the various docks by boat daily. All of their tanks that I have seen there look pretty rough on the outside. I always assumed that was pretty normal in the tropical environment and that they must be okay. Many shops handle Amigos tanks everyday. I have seen them tossed like firewood onto the dock by various shops including Amigos.

It seems that either the burst disk was not appropriate or the tank had some severe pre-existing damage. If the tank was overpressurized, a burst disk should have blown. I would think that even a pretty crappy AL tank can sustain some overpressurization. So it is unlikely that it exploded like that under normal service pressures. There are a bunch of different photos on each of the different news agencies that include pictures of the manifold at the fill station. It appears to have received severe damage from the exploding tank.

I know I have met two of the deceased's brothers, his nephew, and am almost sure I must have have met Hector/Chapin. He was 39 years old with 5 kids if I recall correctly.

I have heard horror stories about the cost of a hydro inspection in Belize. It would almost be cheaper to get new tanks every 5 years.

Seems like if you are turning over so many tanks and hydrostatic test are that expensive then you might look into getting your own Equiptment do you can do them your self. At some point it makes since to make the investment up front to cut cost and improve safty.

Seems like if you are turning over so many tanks and hydrostatic test are that expensive then you might look into getting your own Equiptment do you can do them your self. At some point it makes since to make the investment up front to cut cost and improve safty.

How often, in Belize, is a hydro required? Please don't give answers for other countries. I'm wondering what local law is. Thanks.

snip,... snip,...

It seems that either the burst disk was not appropriate or the tank had some severe pre-existing damage. If the tank was overpressurized, a burst disk should have blown. I would think that even a pretty crappy AL tank can sustain some overpressurization. So it is unlikely that it exploded like that under normal service pressures.

snip,... snip,...

Hate to contradict you, but I was in a dive shop in Florida City several years ago when a customer brought in a 3000 psi, Al 80 to fill. I was at the counter and the tank was in the back being filled. Suddenly I heard a loud "crack" and then a hissing sound.

I figured there was a problem with the compressor or something so I went to look. It was a fracture of the Al 80! A 2" or 3" helical crack appeared at the base of the filler neck, extending slightly down and around into the tank shoulder at about the 1200 psi mark on the filler gauge he said. He said he just started filling it up and this happened. I said you should open the valve to let the remaining pressure out and promptly left.

It would be nice to receive the final analysis of what caused the tank to explode.
I personally no longer keep aluminum tanks that are older than two hydros because of my belief that the repetative filling cycles cause too much stress and wear on a soft metal tank made of aluminum.

My condolences to all his family and friends.

Please feel free to send me your 10year old al80s. I'll take ALL of them. PM me for details. I'll even arrange pickup in Fl.

You've got me beat. I won't pick up in FL, don't need them that bad!

Please feel free to send me your 10year old al80s. I'll take ALL of them. PM me for details. I'll even arrange pickup in Fl.

Do you know of anyone who's ever traveled internationally, to dive recreationally, that's ever brought their own??

I brought a 120LP steel tank to the Philippines for a very long stay. No problems in my checked bags. Need to be sure the valve is removed, or no go.

I brought a 120LP steel tank to the Philippines for a very long stay. No problems in my checked bags. Need to be sure the valve is removed, or no go.

Bit of a hijack here but WOW.....how much did that cost?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom