Tank Shelf Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Domsz06

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So have been looking at buying some used tanks as I feel you can get some for a pretty good deal if you shop around. I came across some threads that said DOT set a 15 yr shelf life on tanks and that if it's 15 years old your not supposed to refil it (this is for ALUM tanks) but then I also saw where they didn't pass it, or lifted it.

Anyone have any info?

Just wondering as I keep finding some deals on tanks here in Houston, but so many of them have no current hydro, or vis, or are pusint 11-12 years old.

Thanks everyone.

There are no shelf lifes. Some shops wont fill the tanks (AL only) made prior to 1990. As long as they are hyrdro'd (lasts 5 years) and in VIP, no problem getting them filled. A hydro and VIP can run between $40 and $60.

Stick to the new tanks and all is well. Good luck!

Yep; I have some steels that are nearly 25 years old, and I bet people on the board have older tanks than that.

I have heard that Al tanks have a shorter life expectancy, but I have no personal experience of that.

there is no shelf life, it is the cyclical loading that weakens them. Use is more appropriate measure (or abuse - hot fills, over-fills, hot storage). Fatigue is what it is all about. Steel fatigues at a lesser rate than aluminum. "Old" aluminums can fall into the suspect alloy concern - yet many are not of that composition. A shop can make its own rules as to if they will fill them or not.... and many have drawn a line... usually a heated point of discussion will now follow...

The sad fact is that many shops are turning away 20 year old aluminum cylinders so they aren't exactly timeless. If it's a Luxfur 6351 alloy cylinder the sledding is even tougher.

Steel.... now that's forever.

Pete

It's not so much a shelf life as problems with fills on older tanks. There have been enough problems that many have simply said no aluminum tanks older than 1990.

I have no problem buying a steel tank that is old but passes hydro. The aluminum is probably the same but due to the no fill policy that is becoming mire prevalent I would not buy a used aluminum tank very many years old.

New Catalinas are quite cheap to worry about different possible problems that might come up when you buy used

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom