Tank sizing, HP & LP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My response was in the framework of single tank diving. If you open it up to dual tanks, it is much more interesting question and as you pointed out not as clear cut.

FWIW: Let me know if those HP100's in your gear locker need a new home. I have lots of AL80's and would love to trade up.:D

I think shipping would eat a lot :) , I'm waiting for my wife to finish her "gearing up" so she can try them and see how they trim for her. I like them overall but they are short for me :( She is 4' smaller so hopefully they will work for her. I would hate to sell them :)

I think shipping would eat a lot :) , I'm waiting for my wife to finish her "gearing up" so she can try them and see how they trim for her. I like them overall but they are short for me :( She is 4' smaller so hopefully they will work for her. I would hate to sell them :)

I think very few people with HP100's would want to sell. They are nice tanks, maybe not the perfect solution for all, but very nice. Congrats on the hockey game, you guys were awesome!

I think very few people with HP100's would want to sell. They are nice tanks, maybe not the perfect solution for all, but very nice. Congrats on the hockey game, you guys were awesome!

Yeah as single tanks for cold diving (and doubles for shorter people) they are great :)

Thanks for the hockey, I was watching the game more like a NHL game not as an Olympics :) It was pretty much the one , the teems are of the same level IMHO it's just one team has more luck here and another there. It was interesting to watch unlike the play Russia/Canada (I have a Russian background) where it was more like a kid was trying to steal the puck from an adult :) I donno what happened to the team :)

I tried searching for this, and frankly I didn't even really know what to ask for in the search criteara, so I will just ask it and please forgive me if it was recently answered.

I am going to be getting a steel tank (or two -- as singles, I always like to have a apare) for when I wear my drysuit. I am planning on getting one with DIN with the yoke adapter (my first stage is yoke).

My question comes in about HP vs LP.

I understand that a 100 CF tank is going to contain 100 CF of air (more or less), so that the HP vs. LP comes down to a matter of size and weight.

I am trying to reduce the amount of lead that I am carrying by switching to steel, and also to enjoy the improved buoyancy characteristics of steel over aluminum. That is my stated goal in the switch.

I am thinking about getting either a 100 HP or 95 LP.

Is the 95 LP significantly heavier than the 100 HP?

If my stated goal is to replace lead with tank weight, would I be better off with a LP 95 (which is also easier on the rest of my rig)?

Thanks.

XS Scuba Worthington Steel Scuba Cylinders

Click on spec charts and do the buoyancy math.

I recomend Worthington tanks. They are hot dipped so instead of looking really pretty and then in a few years terrible, like faber...You'll have decnt looking tanks forever.

much easier to get nitrox fills for as when partial pressure blending often just a tank transfer is done and often times those levels of pressure is lower than the 3500psi a hp tank can take

Huh?

Why would partial pressure nitrox fill be an issue? Even if you do transfill from larger O2 tank you mostly start with 0psi (unless you have a booster). (At least my LDS does that, they ask you to drain the tank and first fill with O2 and tap with air.)

I just ordered a couple of HP 119 from my LDS (cheaper than any online store) after careful consideration of what size and HP vs LP consideration.

They should be here this week and hopefully I get to dive them this weekend.

These will be my single tanks. I like that they are shorter then AL80 and have 50% more air and even if filled at 3000psi still have 107cf in them.

I just ordered a couple of HP 119 from my LDS (cheaper than any online store) after careful consideration of what size and HP vs LP consideration.

They should be here this week and hopefully I get to dive them this weekend.

These will be my single tanks. I like that they are shorter then AL80 and have 50% more air and even if filled at 3000psi still have 107cf in them.

If you don't mind sharing, how much did they set you back?

If you don't mind sharing, how much did they set you back?

$335 + tax per tank.

Order was for more tanks total so it was free shipping to LDS.

I just did the Avalon Harbor clean up and used my Steel LP 95 and man I love that tank! I have access to a lot of tanks and that one for my Dry suit is perfect for me!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom