Tank sizing, HP & LP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

New one on me. I have never heard of a plus rating for aluminum tanks. Only LP steel.

Funny... I've never seen it on a steel tank - only aluminum. :)

...And the DiveGearExpress website reported the "+" as a function of hydrostatic testing, and yet, I've always seen it as a function of the visual inspection.

With the steels, overfilling seems so common that I thought they didn't bother with the "+" certification.

Weird how everyone's reporting something different. Inconsistencies in the industry, perhaps?

For what it's worth, I pump all of my AL80's to 3300. When the tanks cool (I don't do "hot" fills, but the tank can still be skin-warm) it's usually at about 3150 or 3200. I've never had a problem.

Check out this.
Scuba Cylinder Specifications from Tech Diving Limited - 928-855-9400

The "HP" faber you see out there now for the most part is the FX. 34#

Yup, true... I was just making the point that different tanks - both aluminum and steel - were different weights. My counterpart there had cited the heaviest aluminum 100 against the lightest HP steel 100.

...But he's right about his point anyway - yes, HP steel 100's are lighter out of the water than aluminum 100's, across the board. Less bouyant, too - although that's not necessarily a clear advantage like having a lighter tank (out of the water) is. Regarding bouyancy characteristics, the answer is, "it depends." It depends on how much weight you want high and far off of your back as compared to on your hips. You can be trimmed too high as much as you can be trimmed too low... Although admittedly, it seems more common to have people trimmed low than high.

Aluminum tanks have the interesting bouyancy characteristic that they're neutral when half empty. This makes them great stages, since a diver doing staged decompression would otherwise have to swim around the entire dive with heavy tanks. If he uses aluminum tanks, they're a couple of pounds negative at the worst, then neutral and then slightly positive at the very end of his dive.

This bouyancy characteristic makes them interesting to use as back gas - if a diver turns sideways during the dive (say, to look at a vertical wall), they tend not to "turtle" the diver - especially when the tank(s) are at the halfway point. Steels - always negative - have the tendency to roll the diver onto his back, an issue brought about by having more weight up high and far off of the diver's back. The fuller the tank, the more weight, and the more weight, the bigger the tendency.

The "roll" action is a function of trim - and a skilled diver can tune most of this action out... But again, it's a matter of where the weight is going on the diver, and in some cases a steel tank can be too much and affect trim poorly.

Given that a lot of divers are already overweighted on their belts (and underweighted on their backs), usually a steel tank is an improvement in trim... But not all the time.

...Which is why I said that it's not a matter of one tank being great and another being terrible... It's a matter of matching the diver's needs with their tanks.

Personally, I wouldn't dive steels in salt water, period. I prefer other methods to trim properly so that I can take advantage of aluminum's unique corrosion properties. But that's just me - I know a lot of people who dive steels in salt water to take advantage of it's slightly lighter weight, slightly smaller size, or slightly more negative tendency.

And I don't see an aluminum 106?:confused:

Yep - on the link I provided a post ago... Found it in a couple of other places, too... I've never heard of it either, so it may be something new - or old - I don't know.

It's not an overfill - well, sorta. There's a certification rating called "VIP+." It means that the tank is certified to handle a 10% overfill - which, technically isn't an "overfill" if it's certified. :)
The Luxfer AL100 is 41 pounds, and Faber's version of the steel HP100 is 39 pounds. You're quite selective in which tanks you're comparing. :)
By the way - you're dramatically exaggerating the difference in dry tank weight. The gas itself weighs almost 8 pounds... Which means the difference between a full tank and an empty tank is eight pounds. If 14 pounds causes you backbreaking agony, what would another 8 pounds do to you? :)
The "trim" issue is what I mentioned in my last post - the "finicky" part. Instead of me telling you about it and you arguing with me thereafter, how 'bout you go get wet and try it out for yourself? :)

I think the VIP+ allowing 10% overfills for AL tanks is a dream, you probably drank some bad beer after diving with the mystery AL120. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I choose Catalina and Worthington as sample for weights since they the dominant US manufactures. Even if I choose Luxfer, it is still significant.

The 8lbs is the TOTAL weight of the air, if you are comparing the air weight in an AL80 vs 100 (any of them) it is only a delta of 2lbs or so. That I would deal with for the value of the extra air. There is little value in lugging around and extra 14lbs of metal.

I have dived a number of tanks since I was certified in 77, steel and AL, singles and smaller twins. Not anywhere close to your experience, but enough to know I can trim out just fine in most tanks. Not really a big issue for me except I kept hitting my butt with the HP120, the shorter HP119 was OK.

Funny... I've never seen it on a steel tank - only aluminum. :)

...And the DiveGearExpress website reported the "+" as a function of hydrostatic testing, and yet, I've always seen it as a function of the visual inspection.

With the steels, overfilling seems so common that I thought they didn't bother with the "+" certification.

Weird how everyone's reporting something different. Inconsistencies in the industry, perhaps?

For what it's worth, I pump all of my AL80's to 3300. When the tanks cool (I don't do "hot" fills, but the tank can still be skin-warm) it's usually at about 3150 or 3200. I've never had a problem.
It doesn't make sense that a plus rating can occur on a visual inspection. The whole concept is based on hydrostatically determining that the tank can handle the higher number stamped on the neck.

I've never heard of a plus rating on anything other than a LP steel either. It's not necessary on HP as that's what the HP rating is all about. You are essentially taking a low pressure tank and verifying that it will handle higher pressures and then giving it a HP rating. It's not done on aluminum due to a greater tendency toward cracking.

I think the VIP+ allowing 10% overfills for AL tanks is a dream, you probably drank some bad beer after diving with the mystery AL120.

Yeah, that's probably what happened. :thumb:

I choose Catalina and Worthington as sample for weights since they the dominant US manufactures.

I see Luxfers way more often than Cats. With steels, I see an equal amount of PSTs, Worthingtons and Fabers - pretty much only where there's freshwater.

I know one guy who dives an HP steel... That's it.

At the GA Aquarium, the staff all dove HP steels (which were solid brown from surface rust) pumped to 3000 psi (oops) and the guests all dove AL80's cause they were prettier. :D

Even if I choose Luxfer, it is still significant.

"Significant" is relative. :) Since I can't tell an empty from a full without a gauge (and therefore can't feel an 8-pound difference), I doubt that a 6-14 pound difference is going to cause "my back to ache just thinking about it." I think that's a little overdramatized. :)

That was my point in reference to the "8 pound" thing.

I have dived a number of tanks since I was certified in 77, steel and AL, singles and smaller twins. Not anywhere close to your experience, but enough to know I can trim out just fine in most tanks.

Cool. :) Use what you want, man... No law one way or the other. :) I was just trying to communicate to the noob that they're "different" and not necessarily "better" or "worse." Depends on what you need. If bringing the weight of your rig high and back works for you, then great. :applause:

You know, for an old dude you sure do get your panties in a wad in a hurry. :D

"Significant" is relative. :) Since I can't tell an empty from a full without a gauge

I was just trying to communicate to the noob that they're "different" and not necessarily "better" or "worse."
You know, for an old dude you sure do get your panties in a wad in a hurry. :D

Enjoy being a strong young buck, just wait until you get a bit older, you will feel the weight. :wink:

I don't feel the need to denigrate guys with less experience than myself by calling them noobs. I also don't feel the need to pontificate on everything diving, the result is like explosive diarrhea, it makes everyone stink eventually and is a mess to clean up.:depressed:

I may be older than you, but I still have the desire to learn from others, rather than from my own mistakes. Now lets stop bickering and dive.:)

Enjoy being a strong young buck, just wait until you get a bit older, you will feel the weight. :wink:

I turn 40 next Wednesday. I WISH I was a "strong young buck." :)

I don't feel the need to denigrate guys with less experience than myself by calling them noobs. I also don't feel the need to pontificate on everything diving, the result is like explosive diarrhea, it makes everyone stink eventually and is a mess to clean up.:depressed:

I may be older than you, but I still have the desire to learn from others, rather than from my own mistakes. Now lets stop bickering and dive.:)

Deal. :D

My bet is that if we met in person, we'd be best buds anyway. :)

^ Diving or drinking beer, I get along with anyone. The internet tends to bring out the best and the worst in all of us, nature of the beast.

Happy birthday:D

Yeah, me too. The only place I have a problem is on the Internet. I never could figure it out - I must come across totally differently in person than I do on the 'net.

Heck, I'm much better now than I used to be - if you think I'm bad now, you should have seen me ten years ago. :)

I learned something in another thread though... Night before last. Check out this thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/norcal/325617-what-do-short-hoses-1.html

Make people laugh, and they love you. (That makes sense.) Answer people's questions, and they hate you. (That doesn't make sense.)

Since I like people more than I like being right (or wrong), maybe I should just shut my yap and enjoy people instead of "trying to help." :)

^ I read it, it was entertaining. I was thinking, what is this guy drinking?
So yes, you do have a sense of humor, which is definitely a good thing on SB

Back
Top Bottom