Tank storage while FULL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

copter53

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
How long can I keep a tank sitting in my garage filled to 3000 psi? Is it bad? If I know I'm not going to dive for like 4 months but I already refilled them out of habit do I bleed them out or is it fine to leave them full and sitting? Will the air go bad? Can I use them again after?

Leave them full and use the air in the later. They'll be fine (as will the air).

It's all good. I commonly keep fills over the winter.

Pete

Like the others said, they'll be fine. I often have filled tanks sitting around for months when weather doesn't cooperate and I don't want to dump expensive fills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So where do *you* draw the line?

For example on the Austin Craigslist page there is a guy selling an 1987 Luxfer AL100 that hasn't had a Hydro/VIP+ in 26 months and has been full (3300psi) the whole time.(http://austin.craigslist.org/spo/3965098588.html)

I tried to be polite and suggest he drain it down to slight positive pressure but he just went off on me about how he used to own a dives shop and that he's so smart and I'm just a stupid recreational diver... :)

I was able to figure out who he is and all I can say is.... well, I guess it can't do much harm to a single wide.

Last edited:
I've had one of my suit inflation tanks filled for well over a year (probably closer to two years) and still continue to use it regularly.

I had 32 sitting in my 108s for almost a year. Analyzed the content and checked the gas for any smell. Dove them with no issues. But I feel them at a trusted source where they are anal about air quality. If you do not know where the gas came from better drain it.

Reactions: Tug
I had 32 sitting in my 108s for almost a year. Analyzed the content and checked the gas for any smell. Dove them with no issues. But I feel them at a trusted source where they are anal about air quality. If you do not know where the gas came from better drain it.

I agree, if you know and trust where the gas came from, I'd have no issues. However, if I had tank filled somewhere that I don't know or use regulary I might drain the tank and pop the valve out to take a quick peek.

I'm in the leave them till you need them. As for sitting in your garage, I assume you have them secured so they are incapable of being knocked over.

Bob
----------------------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

So where do *you* draw the line?

For example on the Austin Craigslist page there is a guy selling an 1987 Luxfer AL100 that hasn't had a Hydro/VIP+ in 26 months and has been full (3300psi) the whole time.

I tried to be polite and suggest he drain it down to slight positive pressure but he just went off on me about how he used to own a dives shop and that he's so smart and I'm just a stupid recreational diver... :)

I was able to figure out who he is and all I can say is.... well, I guess it can't do much harm to a single wide.

From what I know sustained load cracking is a strictly aluminum phenomenon so that's the first line I would draw.

If the cylinder was 6351 like the guy on Craigslist I'd probably not carry it full through the off season.

My 2 6061 aluminum's and pony's winter as is so I guess I don't worry about them either but I do expect to cycle them at least annually.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom