Tank tumbler motor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MY suggestion was going to be what OKByMe suggested, just gearing the motor to the right RPM. I have an old router motor I've been considering using for something like this. It's loud as hell but it could be housed inside a box to deaden the sound a bit and then geared down pretty effectively to lower RPM.

Check the RPM on that router motor...it could be as high as 10,000RPM. Most 120/230v motors run at 1700-1800RPM. My motor is 1360@50hz. @ 60hz. it runs 1630, with a 1/40 reduction = 40 RPM on the shaft. I selected an under 1hp. motor @230/50hz. for the higher torque and lower current draw.

OkByMe, yeah I haven't used it for anything yet because I was hoping to find something I didn't need to gear down. I was originally planning to make a lathe out of it but ended up getting a lathe super cheap and having a second one given to me so obviously I no longer need one.

40 rpm seems like a good rate for a tank tumbler...

OkByMe, yeah I haven't used it for anything yet because I was hoping to find something I didn't need to gear down. I was originally planning to make a lathe out of it but ended up getting a lathe super cheap and having a second one given to me so obviously I no longer need one.

40 rpm seems like a good rate for a tank tumbler...

That is the shaft RPM... As you increase the diameter of the drive wheel in contact with the tank wall, the rotation of the tank will increase. I use larger drive and idler wheels and the shafts are close enough together that any size tank from 6cu.ft. to 440cu.ft will lay between them without having to move the idler shaft. I wish I had a picture and the tumbler was avail to take one, it would be a lot easier to see the setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom